The sister came to her parents for holidays, after a noisy feast called for a serious conversation.

My parents live their whole lives in the village. Now they are old people, and I try to help them with everything, says Olga. The girl moved to the village when she got married. Now she lives on the next street and comes to visit her mom and dad every day.

Is it her choice or a tribute to her long-term care? But Olga is not confused by the difficult village life, but by the behavior of her older sister, who has long lived in the city.

Parents in the village "My parents all my life worked hard on the ground." Thanks to them, my sister and I had everything we needed and lived no worse than the other children. After school, of course, we went to the city to pursue higher education. After graduation, my older sister Galya got married and stayed in the city. Since then, she rarely comes to visit her mom and dad.

I went back to the village after school. Here I found my love, married Nicholas and live with him in his house near my parents. Nicholas is a caring husband and son-in-law. He always helps his father with the housework: he will prick firewood, then he will fix the roof. His mother feeds him fresh cakes. I go to my old people every day to help them.

My parents have a large garden. And even though it became difficult for them to cope with the household over the years, Dad almost sold everything out. But the garden is processed every year. According to his father, this is all he has left. My husband and I dig potatoes every year.

Time goes by and our parents are not getting younger. My sister called me recently and she was talking about who would look after my parents in their old age. Galya immediately said that her apartment is two-bedroom, small. She comes home late and goes on business trips. And to come to the village, apparently, she will not be able. She doesn't do that.

At first I resented my sister. But I will not leave my mother and father hungry to spite? It's not gonna make anyone feel better. So I'm silently doing what I have to do. Yes, I live close and help them. And Galina comes only on holidays. This year she came for the New Year.

How we celebrated the New Year This time I cooked a lot of delicious. At my own expense, I bought all the groceries, cooked everything and covered it. Together with my parents and husband, we decorated the tree and the house. Galina arrived on December 31, when everything was ready. We celebrated the holiday with the family. And the next day Galya called me into the room for a serious conversation.

The sister admitted that now she is in a difficult situation, she and her husband bought a car on credit, and you need to pay off your debts. So she suggested that I take my parents with me, so I would be more comfortable taking care of them. And we can sell their house and split the money equally. While I was listening to all this with my mouth open, Nicholas came into the room. He heard part of the conversation, and he had something to say to my sister instead of me.

He said: “As long as the parents are alive, they will stay in their home. Solve your financial problems yourself. All this time, we care about our parents, and all you care about is money. Forget about the house and the money, because parents should meet old age in prosperity, they do not owe you anything.

Galina did not call or write to us after that incident. I didn't tell my mom and dad about that conversation. I don't want them to worry about the mercantile nature of their own daughter. I don’t want her to have any part of the inheritance.”

Some people think that older parents do not need anything. During their lives, they have seen the world, they do not need expensive things and travel, they do not need their own home. What they really need is to feel the care and love of their children. Whatever they are. In old age, people lack live communication.

Adult children take care of their families, build a career, forget about their old people. When they think about it, it is too late. We understand too late how little we communicated with our parents, how important it was once again to hug my mother, to say a kind word to my father. You won’t make money and you won’t take it with you.

Tags

See also

New and interesting