Indian proverbs

The Indians are a wise, but sadly few people. The discovery of America by Christopher Columbus turned into a sad event for the Native Americans.

In the XV century, Europeans began colonizing two continents: North and South America, which ended in the displacement and oppression of local residents. Thus disappeared the Inca Empire, the Mayan civilization, the Aztecs. But their wisdom remains, which still lives in proverbs.

DepositPhotos

Wise proverbs
  1. The heart is our first teacher (Cheyenne).
  2. Remember, your children do not belong to you; they are loaned to you by the Creator.
  3. One foot in a canoe and the other in a boat will fall into the river.
  4. Human law changes with human understanding. Only the laws of the spirit are immutable (Crow).

DepositPhotos

5. Death is only a change of worlds.
  6. He who pretends to be asleep cannot be awakened.
  7. All dreams are woven from one web (Hopi).
  8. All plants are our brothers and sisters. If we listen, we will hear what they say.

DepositPhotos

9. What is life? It's a firefly flash in the night. It's the buffalo breath in winter. It is a shadow that flashes on the grass and is lost at sunset.
  10. We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, but borrow from our descendants.
  11. When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live so that when you die, the world will cry and you will rejoice.
  12. It is better to have lightning in your hand than thunder in your mouth.

DepositPhotos
  13. When a man leaves nature, his heart becomes stale.
  14. Walk softly in spring - Mother Earth is pregnant (Kiowa).
  15. Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is from the past. Wisdom comes from the future. – Lambi
  16. If you do not see a reason to be grateful, it is your fault.

DepositPhotos

17. The frog does not drink the pond in which it lives.
  18. Tell me, and I'll forget. Show me and I won't remember. Teach me and I'll understand.
  19. If you go to bed with dogs, you wake up with fleas.
  20. When you treat living beings with respect, they give you respect.

DepositPhotos

Wise proverbs and sayings Indians teach us unity with nature, self-knowledge and kindness and compassion for others.

There are very few Indians left, in Latin America by the early 1990s their number was 35-40 million, in the United States and even less - about 1.5 million, in Canada the account goes to hundreds of thousands. In order to preserve their national identity, these people live on reservations.

Proverbs and statements of wise people Other nations keep it. Like the Japanese. Or Jews. Every nation has something to learn.

Tags

See also

New and interesting