Tips for finishing the bathroom

Each of us has had to deal with repairs. Someone acts as a “thankful listener” of the neighbor’s drill, and someone himself is an annoying neighbor. I recently had the chance to play the last one. From personal experience, I can say that the first repair is a very important and exciting event. This is a huge responsibility and, one might even say, a transition to a new level of adulthood.

It is impossible to avoid mistakes by doing something that is not well known. And although it seemed to me that I know as much as any master, because I read a lot of advice on various sites, some mistakes I still made. One of them was the decision not to close the gap between the wall and the bathroom immediately, so I had to start a second renovation two years after moving into a new apartment.

"Infinite repair" can hit the wallet of even the richest person. To save the money and nerves of our readers, "Site" shares one of the most important nuances in the repair of the bathroom, namely: effective ways to close the gap between the bathroom and the wall.

It is important to ensure increased tightness at all joints of surfaces in the bathroom so that water does not penetrate through the gaps. Clearances at bathroom joints lead to increased humidity, chronic dampness in the room and, as a result, the reproduction of mold.

Mold tends to spread very quickly, so if it started in the bathroom, it will soon surely hit the whole room. This harms the health of any person, but especially mold in the apartment is dangerous for children, allergies and the elderly, whose immunity is weakened to a greater extent.

Means of solving the problem
  1. Bathroom curb belt This is the most affordable way to deal with small gaps. Experts recommend using it if you need to close gaps for 1-2 years. An excellent solution for those who rent housing, but longer-term waterproofing this tool does not provide, so you should pay attention to the following options.

2. Sanitary silicone sealant. This tool is also suitable for the narrowest crevices. It will provide more reliable and durable tightness, but the effort and time to use it also need to spend twice as much. Choosing such a tool, remember that when it is dried, acetic acid is released, which has a rather unpleasant odor, so that after using a sealant, the room must be well ventilated.

3. Waterproof mounting foam This is one of the easiest means of filling seams. It is only necessary to clean and dry the surface, then apply foam from the balloon into the gap between the bathroom and the wall. The material will expand and fill all available space. After that, the foam should be allowed to dry well.

4. Cement mortar. When closing large gaps, this tool is perhaps the most effective of all. The seam closed with such a tool looks rather sloppy, so some recommend gluing a curb tape or ceramic tiles over it.

5. Ceramic curb This is the most aesthetic option. Such a curb is installed on a special tile glue. Time and effort will have to apply much more than in previous cases, but the result will exceed all expectations!

Editorial advice
  1. All treated surfaces must be thoroughly cleaned.

2. The wall and bath before applying it is important to degrease and dry after cleaning.
  3. Chemical components used for sealing can be harmful to health, so be sure to use a household respirator, and at the end of the work be sure to ventilate the room.

4. Any material used to seal the seam, including sealant and cement mortar, should not drip in large quantities or fall into the gap. The optimal penetration of the composition beyond the edge of the bath is no more than 1 cm.
  5. Make sure that there are no gaps when applying the solution or silicone, otherwise the tightness of the seam will be violated.

Earlier we talked about why it is important to choose the right curb for the bath and how to equip a small bathroom. Follow the links to learn more about the tricks of repairmen and share information with friends on social networks.

Tags

See also

New and interesting