How to wean a child to lie?
All children sometimes lie to their parents.The most common reason for this is the desire to avoid punishment for a deliberate or accidental misdeed.
Often children lie to get something different.
In addition, the child may lie, protecting friend, brother or sister, in order to raise their self-esteem, dignity out of awkward (social) situation to be able to retire from annoying parents, but also to see how they can manage their lives. The list of motifs does not end there.
Parents usually get upset when revealed serious lies. It may motivate them to punish the child more seriously than it deserves.
Thus, unwittingly, they motivate the child to become more skillful liar.
Photographer Magda BernyKnowing that you'll be punished, it is very difficult to tell the truth.And this requires more courage than we have with our children.
When parents suspect their child of lying, they tend to catch it while you lie, not to behave so that the child is not afraid to tell the truth. In other words, the parent should be a teacher, not a policeman.
When parents suspect their child of lying, they tend to catch it while you lie, not to behave so that the child is not afraid to tell the truth.Children learn to lie by watching the how to lie to parents and their children, friends, each other.
So your child is not afraid to speak the truth, follow a few guidelines:
- Do not lie when the child of social amenities is a lie that we don't even realize. If lie was necessary – be sure to explain why you lied and why in this case, the lie was preferable to the truth.Children learn to lie by observing how they lie to their parents.
- If you suspect a child is lying to you – not podavlivaya it. Don't be discouraged it. Say exactly, without strain, do not get angry and do not show their suspicions.
- If the incident you are very hurt, wait until emotions subside. Let the child understand that everyone makes mistakes. And would you like to know about his mistakes.
- Kids explain how difficult it is to deal with people who lie: and how difficult it will be to you and his friends, and household matters and in games.
- With older children use in the explanation of the concept of trust and reputation. Explain that once lied, the child may lose confidence person. To restore it is sometimes very difficult.
- Give examples from your childhood when you lied to you or lied to you, tell me about the consequences.
- If you use the punishment say it before you hear the confession. The punishment should be fit for the rigors of what provoked the kid to lie.
- Don't be too hard –fear of punishment – the most common reason children lie.
If your child has become a chronic liar at the age of 10-12 years and they noticed you and school teachers will seek professional help. Many children with age, the desire to lie is, if not, it is in any case impossible to ignore. published
Author: Paul Ekman
P. S. And remember, only by changing their consumption — together we change the world! ©