How to deal with addiction to procrastinating.

Coach Christopher Sower tells how to fight with the harmful habit of procrastinating.

The main thing in the fight against procrastination is to understand that we tend to postpone those things which are emotionally and psychologically painful for us. If rude to generalize and apply the principle of 80/20, the things that hurt us can be divided into four main segment.

4 causes of procrastination

They are painful, because it can lead to conflict, forcing us to interact with a large number of strangers, require us to follow a certain procedure, or to include work with lots of detail.

In other words, most of us fall into one of the following categories:

1. Avoiding conflicts

2. Avoiding people

3. Avoiding procedures

4. Avoiding details

For example, being a fairly strong introvert, I tend to postpone tasks that require me to interact with lots of strangers. If I need to do something where we have to deal with new people — strangers — I will postpone this matter until, until it becomes an absolute necessity.

If to speak about work tasks, it may be, for example, a customer survey in the form of a panel discussion or a presentation of my project to a group of managers from other departments.

Remember the fact that you delay, and try to understand why you are doing this.

• Because it involves some kind of conflict?
  • Because it will put you in a uncomfortable situation?
  • Because the job includes some kind of uncomfortable for you?
  • Or because this work involves immersion in a painful amount of detail?

Once you can pinpoint the cause of procrastination, try to find the execution path of the tasks, avoiding painful pressure points.

In the above example, where I need to gather customer feedback through discussion in a large group, maybe I could achieve the same goal by means of an electronic survey. Or perhaps I could find a colleague who enjoys such activities, and see if I can take on another part of the project so he or she could conduct a survey instead of me.

1. If you delay the case, because avoiding conflict can we solve this issue so that they arose not so much? Try to focus on a common goal with another person, on what you both want, and not on the differences.

2. If you allow procrastination because you avoid a lot of people, is it possible to formulate the problem so that it was not involved so many participants? Can you ask a colleague or friend who love this kind of activity?

3. If you put off work because avoiding any procedures, try to look at it as an opportunity to make improvements in the process. Look for ways to skip unnecessary steps or otherwise to complete the process faster.

4. If you delay a job because you're avoiding the details, let's look at this as an opportunity to prove to others that you really can cope with such activity. Set a goal to learn from this task a comprehensive great lesson or story that consists of many parts, and constantly try to look for that bigger picture.published

Also interesting: About elephants, which is not always necessary to take on the shoulders

One of the main lessons that you must pass

P. S. And remember, only by changing their consumption — together we change the world! ©

Source: ideanomics.ru/articles/8282

Tags

See also

New and interesting