David Heinemeier Hansson: always Blame you

Co-founder of Basecamp and co-author of the bestseller ReWork believes that there is nothing more important than to learn to accept the blame.

When something goes wrong, blame others, the easiest way in the world. Analyze each puncture, to point out every flaw. In this analysis there is a benefit, but it is not complete. To finish the job you should do more serious work: to understand how the incident is your own fault.

This is particularly appropriate if you are responsible for other people. "Chip won't go any further" — this phrase was popular about half a century, and it is again to remind you. Otherwise, the people at the top are very easy to shift the blame on the lower employees.

But such lessons of self-examination, not only of chiefs. They will be useful to anyone. If you work in a team or take part in some process, and something went wrong — certainly your fault in this too. You can follow carefully. You could longer doubt. You could just double-check.

There is some system by which it happened, and you are part of this system. Problems never happen in a vacuum. In the vast majority of cases it is only a predictable consequence of the structure of the work. Even if the mistake was made by a particular person, other people hired that person or time it was transferred to another job.

The challenge is to change the system, but it needs to change its components. Have the courage to start with yourself. Take as much guilt and responsibility for what happened, and then it is hoped that this analysis will affect other elements of the system. But even if they will not come, you did what you could to improve matters.

It's your fault. Say it.

In Basecamp we have made a lot of mistakes. Technical errors, product errors, errors in working with people. And the most useful lessons from these situations I endured when came from the fact that I have the opportunity to change the system. Even if I didn't know about this error (but I should have known!), even if I didn't see it coming (I should have anticipated!). All that has happened is my fault, at least partially, and in some cases it was my fault.

And I hope that also thanks to this readiness to accept guilt we are still working.published

Also interesting: Tired of the guilt? Now cut off!

Test bench: who is to blame for all your problems

P. S. And remember, just changing your mind — together we change the world! ©

Source: ideanomics.ru/articles/7595

Tags

See also

New and interesting