LuMini lamp with alarm clock

On March 12, 2014, a fundraising company for the LuMini project started on Kickstarter. In less than a month on April 1, the required amount to start production was collected, and by the end of the company the amount of fees was $ 76,240. The company involved 1,171 people. In principle, to start sales, it was enough to collect $ 25,000, but with an increase in the budget, additional bonuses were announced in the form of the release of lamps under different caps. In addition to the widespread E26 and E27, when reaching the threshold of $ 37,000, the E14 cap was added (a very popular format among small bedside and table lamps), and when reaching the $50,000 peak, a slightly more specific and compact E12 was added. In principle, the winning option turned out to be the E14 format with a small adapter under the E27, in this form this dudget appeared in me.

This is what a lamp package looks like. Very decent view. The cardboard is kind of very dense, and inside the base on which the lamp is generally made of cardboard as if wooden. So the inner holder holds the lamp very well, in the center, not allowing it to lean against the walls of the package. This is relevant for transportation, especially since the lamp body is ceramic.

Yes, yes, no cheap plastic dyed with silver in aluminum, only tin ceramic.

Together with the lamp inside the package is an instruction and a transition base under the cartridge E27. That's basically the whole package.

For the initial tests, I have a part from the old floor lamp, there is just the E14 base, here we will check all the lamp modes on it.

Install the application by QR code from the package to the smartphone and turn the lamp on the network.

After switching on, the lamp lights up in white (well, it is white according to the instructions), in fact, it is a little blue. The fact is that the white glow diodes have a cold shade of 3500K. I would, to be honest, make at least a slightly warmer shade of the first inclusion, still it would be more pleasant, and there is an opportunity to control the color.

All right, that's the thing. As the manufacturer promises, this lamp compares favorably with similar ones in that it does not need to be hooked to a special hub that connects to the WiFi network. It was created in 2014, remember? Now this is no surprise to anyone, the Chinese have already put this technology on the stream and every second lamp can cling to the phone via Bluetooth. Although still the number of lamps with IR remotes is still large.

Let's move on to the lamp control. Download from the Play-market or Apple-store the desired application – “Tabulumen” and install it on the smartphone.
Next, connect the lamp via Bluetooth and it appears in the list of lamps in the application – everything is simple.

When tapa on the lamp, we get into the direct control section:

It's intuitive. Press the colored circle on the desired color - the lamp immediately changes the color of the backlight. Under the circle is a brightness slider, in the brightest position of which the colors are not so saturated, but shine brighter. In the minimum position, the colors are more juicy, but the brightness of the lamp is suitable only for background illumination. One of the possible applications is background lighting for photographers, although perhaps 3W LED will not be enough and you need a couple or a little more of these lamps, but the backgrounds no longer need to be spent, and they are now oh how expensive. One lamp, for example, is worth 4 such lamps. By the way, I read that a similar lamp from a subsidiary of Xiaomi – yeelight blue does it with a delay, everything happens instantly. In general, yeelight blue is very similar to this lamp, except that the case is not ceramic but aluminum, everything else is just an exact copy. I wouldn’t be surprised to learn that this project has evolved into Yeelight. To be fair, I tried the yeelight app in the hope that it would fit, but it’s a modern design, but alas, it didn’t see the lamp.

The app can also control a group of lamps, which is a plus. On the kickstarter page, the manufacturer just uses a lamp with six such lamps on the floor lamp.

About the visibility of the lamp by the phone.

At the beginning, I was very stressed that when you leave the application, you write that the connection was broken, and when you enter, you see that the lamp is not connected, and you need to tap on the lamp to connect it. I don't think there's any connection to the lamp, so the call alert won't work. And no, despite this strange behavior, the lamp perfectly alerts you to the call itself and that you have a missed call.

Alert about the incoming call mono configure in the corresponding menu, you can set both a certain color and blink frequency.

LuMini can greet you with a blink when your phone appears on the lamp network, not very relevant to me, I rarely walk with Bluetooth turned on all the time.

There are also modes to create a mood:

Disco.

Select a music track in the lamp application and the lamp adapts to your track. The loss comes from the phone. If you use a smartphone from Apple, it is very convenient here to use Airplay and send sound to external speakers. It's gonna be a full party.

Twinkle.

In this mode, the lamp simply blinks all the colors of the rainbow at a certain interval. First lights up in full one color, then it fades smoothly and the next one turns on.

Relaxing light.

In this mode, the light is alternately replaced by different colors in warm shades: red, orange, yellow, pink, etc. Under such soft lighting it will be pleasant to spend time at a romantic dinner, the lamp will work almost like a fireplace, pleasantly illuminating the space.

The pre-sunset sky.

Similar mode farting, but the lighting in cold colors. By the way, in blue light they say to eat less. It is no longer a romantic dinner. Falling asleep under this light is like that. The lamp simulates a blue sunset light. Although it does not change as slowly as the sun sets, and who then turns off the lamp if you fall asleep under it?

Since we are talking about sleep, it is worth mentioning the alarm clock. Have you ever read about the smart light? We wake up at dawn. TabuLumi lamp can work on a schedule and turn on the alarm clock at a given time. This feature is independent of the phone and works even when Bluetooth is disabled. Turning on does not happen immediately at full power, but gradually, as in a smart lamp. The truth of the first 2 levels is still not smoothly included. But then I counted more than 20 steps. The lighting level rises about once a second or more. You can choose to include either white or color. Who likes to wake up to purple?

In the alarm mode, the lamp shines for about 30 or 40 minutes, has not yet caught this exact moment, then it turns off - conveniently, you can not think about it and do not turn on the application again in the morning when you are going to work. But the drawback is that you can not set the alarm clock for the days of the week, for some reason you must choose dates and no more than 7 days. Strange decision, to be honest.

Well, there is also a mode specifically for friends - like a color strobe. In this mode, the lamp blinks cheerfully with all the colors of the rainbow conquering your friends and slowly turning them into your slaves aki hypnotoad. The joke is, of course, but the most effective mode.

The disadvantages of the lamp include the fact that it works in the Bluetooth 4.0 standard, not lower. Although in practice I failed to check, at home there were simply no smartphones with old blue tooth chips. So it seems a minus, but not for everyone. I will not talk about the price, here everyone decides for himself whether it is worth it or not. I was looking at Philips lamps about two years ago, and the price was biting, and they didn't seem to work directly with smartphones. In the end, he never took any. At the time, I think Lumini would have been a worthy competitor, but I didn't catch a glimpse. Thanks to the dudget for giving me the chance to test it.

All the functions with the test cartridge have been considered, now we move on to the “pretences”. In my house, in principle, all lamp caps are not quite standard. Most of the Gu10s are even more specific. What does it say, and sockets are not like everywhere – universal. When I ordered them, I thought, why not take universal outlets? I often order different gadgets from Aliexpress and e-Bay, and they are often sent with a flat fork and adapter. With an adapter, I really do not like forks, and flat ones often give additional bonuses, and they are more compact.

In general, with such outlets, and the absence of cartridges, it is finally possible to realize the long-standing idea of a compact lamp like a night lamp that sticks directly into the socket. Done. An hour to model, a couple of hours to print, and we've got this lamp case ready.

I did not take the cartridge from the donor and bought a new one with external threads. I had a fork in my cushion. Put it all together and voila:

The smart light is ready. It remains to pick up a lampshade from ready-made on Thingiverse and print it on a 3-printer. Another three-and-a-half hours to print and the lamp is finished.

P.S. And remember, just by changing our consumption – together we change the world!

Join us on Facebook, VKontakte, Odnoklassniki

Source: geektimes.ru/company/dadget/blog/270514/

Tags

See also

New and interesting