"Gifts of the Magi"

New Year's touching story by O. Henry. About this lyubov.Odin dollar and eighty-seven cents. That was all. And sixty cents of it was in pennies. For each of these coins had the grocer, greengrocer, butcher, so that even his ears burned with the silent imputation that cause such frugality. Three times Della counted. One dollar and eighty-seven cents. Tomorrow, Christmas.

The only thing that could be done here, but flop down on the shabby little couch and howl. That's what Dell did. Location begs the philosophical conclusion that life is made up of tears, sighs and smiles and sighs predominate.
While the mistress of the house takes all these steps, we look at some of the best house. A furnished flat at eight dollars a week. The situation is not that outrageous poverty, but rather eloquently silent poverty. Below, on the front door, a box for letters, the gap is not pushed to any one letter, and an electric button from which no mortal finger could coax a sound. Also appertaining thereunto card with the inscription: "Mr. James Dillingham Young." "Dillingham" unfolded full-length in the recent period of prosperity when its possessor was being paid thirty dollars a week. Now, after the income was shrunk to twenty dollars, the letters in the word "Dillingham" dull, as if not a little thinking: instead of contracting to a modest and unassuming "D"? But when Mr. James Dillingham Young came home and reached into his top floor, it has always met the cry: "Jim!" - And the tender embrace of Mrs. James Dillingham Young, already introduced to you as Della. And this is really, really cute.

Della finished her cry and attended puff his cheeks. She stood by the window and looked out dully at a gray cat walking a gray fence in a gray backyard. Tomorrow is Christmas, and it has only one dollar and eighty-seven cents to buy Jim a For months she literally economize every penny, and that's all she has achieved. The twenty dollars a week does not go far. Expenses were higher than she expected. With expenses always so. Only a dollar and eighty-seven cents to buy Jim a Her Jim! How many happy hours she spent, thinking that this would give him for Christmas. Something very special, rare, precious, something just a little worthy of high honor to belong to Jim.

The wall between the windows stood a mirror. You never had to look in the mirror vosmidollarovoy furnished apartment? A very thin and very agile person may, by observing a succession of reflections in its narrow wings, make a fairly accurate idea of ​​their appearance. Dell, which has a fragile constitution, managed to master this art.

She suddenly jumped from the window and ran to the mirror. Her eyes sparkled, but the face of the twenty seconds fled paint. With a quick movement she pulled the pin and her hair down.

I must tell you that the couple James Dillingham Young had two treasures, is the subject of their pride. One - Jim's gold watch that belonged to his father and grandfather, the other - hair Della. Had the queen of Sheba lived in the house opposite, Della, washing your head, be sure to dry the window loose hair - especially to get all dressed up and fade ornaments Her Majesty. Had King Solomon served in the same house doorman and stored in the basement of all their wealth, Jim walked past, whenever took out to watch from his pocket - especially to see him tearing his beard from envy.

So beautiful hair Della scattered, glistening and shimmering like a brown waterfall jet. They went down below the knees and a cloak enveloped almost the whole of her figure. But she immediately nervously and slowly, she began to pick them up again. Then, as if hesitated for a moment stood still, and two or three tears fell on the old red carpet.

An old brown jacket over his shoulders, an old brown hat on his head - and vzmetnuv skirts, wet gleaming glitter in her eyes, she had raced down the street.

The sign, which she stopped, read: «M-me Sophronie. All kinds of hair products. " Della ran up to the second floor and stopped breathing with difficulty.
- Do not you buy my hair? - She asked Mme.
- I buy hair, - said Madame. - Remove the bonnet, it is necessary to see the goods.
Again streamed Red Falls.
- Twenty dollars - said Madame, habitually weigh on the arm dough.
- Let's rather - said Della.

The next two hours passed on rosy wings - I apologize for the hackneyed metaphor. Della scour the shops in search of a gift for Jim.
Finally, she found. No doubt, it was created for Jim, and only for him. Nothing of the kind found in other stores, and only she turned them upside down. It was a platinum fob chain, simple and strict drawing, captivated by their true qualities, not ostentatious splendor, - and so should be all good things. It is, perhaps, one could even recognize a decent hour. Once Della saw her, she realized that the chain should belong to Jim. It was the same as Jim himself. Modesty and dignity - these qualities distinguish the two. Twenty dollar had to pay in cash, and Della hurried home with the eighty-seven cents in his pocket. In this chain of Jim in any society is not shameful to ask the time. No matter how great were his watch, and he looked at them often in secret, because they hung on shoddy leather strap.
House revitalization Della pouleglos and gave way forethought and calculation. She took a curling iron, lit the gas and began to mend the destruction caused by the generosity combined with love. And it is always a grave work, my friends, a gigantic work.

Within forty minutes her head was covered with tiny lokonchikami steep, which made it remarkably similar to the boy, ran away from school. She looked at herself in the mirror long, careful and critical eye.

"Well, - she said to herself, - If Jim does not kill me as soon as you take a look, he'll think I look like a chorus girl from Coney Island. But what could I do, ah, what was I to do, once I had only a dollar and eighty-seven cents! »
At seven o'clock the coffee was brewed, and red-hot frying pan on a gas stove stood, waiting for the mutton cutlets.
Jim never was late. Della clamped platinum chain in her hand and sat on the edge of the table close to the front door. Soon she heard his footsteps on the stairs and at the bottom for a moment, turned pale. She had a habit of turning to God with short prayers all over everyday things, and she hurriedly whispered:

- Lord, make it so I have not ceased to please him!
The door opened and Jim stepped in and closed it behind him. He was thin, careworn face. Not an easy task in the twenty-two years to be burdened with a family! He has long needed a new coat, and his hands were cold without gloves.
Jim stood motionless at the door, just a setter, scented quail. His eyes rested on Delle with an expression that she could not understand, and she was scared. It was neither anger, nor surprise, nor reproach or horror - none of those feelings that you would expect. He just stared at her, his eyes, his face did not change his expression strange.
Della jumped up from the table and ran to him.

- Jim, darling - she cried, - Do not look at me like that! I cut her hair and sold it because I did not survive would be if I had nothing to give you for Christmas. They grow back again. You're not angry, are you? I could not help it. My hair grows very fast. Well, congratulate me on Christmas, Jim, and let's enjoy the holiday. If you knew what I have prepared you a gift, what a wonderful, wonderful gift!

- You cut her hair? - Jim asked with a voltage as if, in spite of the intense work of the brain, he still could not realize this fact.
- Yes, shorn and sold, - said Della. - But you're still going to my love? I'm still the same, though, and with short hair.
Jim looked around the room, puzzled.

- So, it means that your braid anymore? - He asked with insistence meaningless.
- Do not look, you will not find them, - said Della. - I told you, I sold them - shorn and sold. Today, Christmas Eve, Jim. Be nicer to me, because I did it for you. Maybe the hairs on my head, and can be counted, - she said, and her sweet voice suddenly sounded seriously - but no one, no one could measure my love for you! Fry patties, Jim?
And Jim went out of his stupor. He concluded his Dell's arms. We are modest and a few seconds Let us review some foreign object. What's more - eight dollars a week or a million a year? A mathematician or a wise man will give you the wrong answer. The magi brought valuable gifts, but was not among them one. However, these vague hints will be explained below.
Jim took the parcel from his coat pocket and threw it on the table.

- Do not get me false, Dell, - he said. - No hair style haircut and can not make me stop loving my daughter. But by expanding the bundle, and then you will understand why I am the first moment a bit taken aback.

White nimble fingers jerked the string and paper. Followed by a cry of delight, immediately - alas! - Purely feminine change of the flow of tears and groans, so it took immediately apply all sedatives, available to the owner of the house.

For on the table were the crests, the same set of combs - one rear and two side - which Dell has long been reverently admired in a showcase of Broadway. Wonderful crests, real tortoiseshell with embedded in the edge of the glittering stones, and not just the color of her brown hair. They are pricey - Della knew it - and her heart long languishing and languishing on the impossible desire to possess them. And now, they were hers, but there is no longer beautiful braid that would decorate their coveted shine.
Yet she held to her chest and ridges, when he finally found the strength to lift his head and smile through tears, said:
- I have a very fast growing hair, Jim!
Then she suddenly jumped like a scalded cat, and cried:
- Oh, my God!
After Jim had not yet seen his beautiful present. She quickly handed him a chain on his palm. Matt precious metal seemed to have played a reflection of her bright and ardent spirit.

- Is not it lovely, Jim? I hunted all over town, as long as it is found. Now, can a hundred times a day to watch the time. Give me the watch. I want to see how it looks all together.

But Jim, instead of obeying, lay down on the couch and put his hands behind his head and smiled.

- Dell - he said - we still have to hide our presents and keep 'em a little bit. They are for us now too good. I sold the watch to buy your combs. And now, perhaps, it's time to fry cutlets.

The Magi, who brought gifts to the infant nursery, were known to be wise, wonderfully wise men. They also invented the art of giving Christmas presents. And since they were wise, and their gifts were wise, perhaps even with the privilege of exchange in case of duplication. And I told you there is no chronicle of two foolish children in a flats, that most unwisely sacrificed for each other the greatest treasures of their own. But let it be said as a warning to the wise of these days, that of all who give gifts these two were the wisest. Of all who give and receive gifts, wisest like. Anywhere and everywhere. They are the magi.

Text: serann, litres
Image of thumbs: PJ Lynch

Read more:
"Last Leaf»
"Hedgehog". The story of the vain hectic

via www.adme.ru/tvorchestvo-pisateli/ezhik-istoriya-o-naprasnoj-suete-812960/

Tags

See also

New and interesting