3D Religion

have sunk into oblivion time heroes,
It was the era of ordinary people ... i>
Epidemic, "Treasure Enya».

If you are even slightly interested in the subject of computer games, you just can not not know the company id Software. Commander Keen, Dangerous Dave, Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, Quake - a series of games that live in the hearts and memories of many gamers. Id Tech engines have long been among the steepest engines for first-person shooters, and also served as a source of ideas for others. And the Source Engine is also grown from it. Unfortunately, the recent developments of the company have not received such a uniquely positive evaluation among the players. But the text that I used in this video was written in the mid-90s, during the company's former greatness.

Narration in the video is not mine, it is written 1996-1997, a man named Nicholas Komarkov
The text itself я retained here, so that his descendants have not lost.

In the text there are controversies as, for example, states that the Unreal Engine is a modification of the engine Quake, or publisher of Descent was 3D Realms (they really planned it, but not fused). There are quite strange moments like that ROTT (Rise of the Triad) was a serious competitor Doom. This could in principle be (after all, is there interesting pieces), but the confirmation in the form of press reviews of those years, for example, I have not found. And maybe bad looking? I am pleased to honor, if you find the source of this information! Footnotes same with my comments there are controversial issues on the link above.

Now about the training video. Comments to my issues periodically write that diction is far from ideal. Well, there is. But alas, to agree on the voice acting with someone else I did not. Periodically there are certain personality threatened to raise the quality of the transfer to a new level. To them I would send this text to voice - after which of them did not hear anything. Their enthusiasm was just enough for waving a banner with the words "I will definitely do better!" So, in desperation, I decided to prepare the voice acting itself.

Videos of all the games that I wrote on their own (the majority) or through written DosBox (someone needs an article about all the wisdoms run old Dos / Win 3.1 / Win95-98 / Glide-games? Write about it in the comments!), Or through the source IR ports like GlRott, GlQuake or Zandronum (Doom / Heretic / Hexen). This allowed us to immediately render image in high resolution like 1024x768 or even once in 1280x720, which, on the one hand, not to frighten the viewer larger pixels, and, on the other hand, do not spoil the image too artificial filtration.

Perhaps the idea of ​​the video was not very good. But in any case, I will soon learn from the comments and ratings. Thanks in advance for the feedback!

Source: geektimes.ru/post/242092/

Tags

See also

New and interesting