Software 3.0: a quiet revolution

Which year all ask all about what will be "the next big thing". What will happen after the web, social networks and cloud? In my opinion, the answer is lying at our feet, but we did not want him to notice. Just because he's not exactly how we like it. This thing is not as simple as everyone expects. Simple things no more: Instagram and Groupon - not the most complex products - have already done.

Let's try to look back a little, say, at age 35. This was the time of appearance of the first affordable personal computers. They could already buy, but because of an odd interface, understandable only very assiduous guys use them was pretty hard. This was the era of software 1.0. Time and pseudo command line, the time when the appearance of a color image on the screen is more impressive than the tricks Copperfield. For obvious reasons, the computers in the form of what was then, could not be truly massive. Soft those times was more scientific and "geek", but not personal.

Then came the era of graphical user interfaces, the era of Windows, OS / 2, and Mac OS. Computers have become clearer and more people began to use them for their daily tasks: document creation and editing images. This time, software 2.0. Then came the Internet, social networks and even cloud computing, but the software, in most cases, is the same. If you compare one of the first versions of MS Word and its modern incarnation, you'll find that conceptually they are virtually identical. That is, the possibilities become more, but it's still a substitute for pencil and paper.

So we got to the present day. We now have a huge amount of infrastructure that allows you to build very complex solutions in a matter of months. But somehow, with rare exceptions, the tools remain the same. Cases where the classic word processor became something more can be counted on the fingers. Take Google Docs. They added the ability to discuss and work together, and I abandoned the beloved once MS Word. I think this will be the next big thing - software 3.0. Software that changes the paradigm; software that lets you work with the product team of people who are in different locations around the world. Next I will try to list 10 characteristics that may have Software 3.0.

1. Make a hole, and do not sell drills h4>

"People do not want to buy a quarter-inch drill. They want a quarter-inch hole. "
Leo McGinneva i> blockquote> The main characteristic Software 3.0 will be the fact that it allows to perform the task regardless of whether you have the necessary resources (both software and "zhelezyachnye") and competence for its execution. If the task is within your power, then Software 3.0 will provide you with the tools, but if the task is beyond your capabilities (for example, you do not know how to use the tools of photographic), the Software 3.0 will provide you with help performers who can deal with your problem, and funds control and communication with them.

2. It's your data, dude h4> The data is always owned by the user and stored in his personal / corporate accounts. In principle, this concept replaces the computer's hard disk from the past. Over time, this hard drive has acquired constraints more difficult to tolerate. After all, the truth you want to have access to all the files from any of your devices. And sometimes not even with yours. With good old hard drive so it will not turn. But now there's GDrive, Dropbox, Box, etc. Now, these services appear as separate products, but eventually they just become part of the necessary infrastructure. In 2003 we went to an electronics store to buy a hard drive. Now I can hardly imagine where it is on my MacBook.

3. Keep all so that others can read h4> Fighting for the data is high time to put an end. Yes, this is the Holy Grail of binding user to the product when data written by one program can not be read by another. But it's disgusting. Almost all areas already have open standards for data, there is no longer any reasonable reason to do another one for your product.

4. Interaction - the key to the effectiveness h4> People communicate. Reason teamwork is very simple - the people in the group do the job much better. At the current level of development of any application can provide any means of interaction. I mean, technically, that's not a problem. There is a sufficient amount of infrastructure and technology. Moreover, some technologies have become a cross-platform and it is not such a big problem with a phone call to a plate or in a browser. I will say even more, you can call there and there at the same time. And added to the video and text communications. Software 3.0 gives the user the best possible choice of means of communication, in the arsenal of any application will be voice, video chat, messaging and files.

5. In-app purchases in full growth h4>

If we take any area, most of the applications and services will have some common functionality. Say, GDrive and Dropbox have the function log in. This service function, which is necessary and required budget for the development and support. This is the logic of the past. Customers will be charged the features that make your service unique. We are already seeing this trend on mobile platforms in the form of in-app purchases: a look at VSCO, a free application for image processing on smartphones. Well, it seems, in the future, consumers will pay only for the unique features, thus obtaining a unique value and utility of the products.

6. Check the data ​​h4> Big data only comes on the market, we are already seeing the first examples of successful commercialization. Now the big data analysis is not very well developed, but the potential that he keeps a really impressive. Analyzing the set of slices multidimensional cubes can find the relationship, finding that previously was beyond affordable. Without a doubt, the data that will be created by using Software 3.0, will be best suited for the analysis.

7. Integrate the power h4>

Most regular users do not even know the integration density of modern products. In fact, any product now largely the result of integration, and do not code writings. And I'm not talking about libraries, I'm talking about the finished services. For example Google Analytics integrated in a huge number of products. While these integration remain invisible, but I think there comes a time when the label "Works with Dropbox" will be as welcome as a once famous "Intel inside". Over time, integration with third party products must be one of the key quality metrics Software 3.0.

8. Zero footprint h4> The mere Software 3.0 will not require any additional modules, plug-ins or add-ons. All the user needs is already installed on his computer. From software user needs only a browser. This approach is fundamentally solves the problem deploymenta software, all fixes and improvements will always be available in the version you are using. Versions hell, the biggest horror Developer, is gone forever. Hardly, I'm going to miss this thing. Installation also no longer need visit the site and have the installation. Neither more nor less.

9. Portability h4> We used to think that the platform is Windows or MacOS. In modern reality platform - it is rather a Web, and inside it podplatformy Facebook, Google+, etc. People are spending more time in applications. Already there is no such thing as a "sit at the computer," you always sit somewhere in Facebook, or somewhere else.
Software 3.0 platform-neutral. This means that you use this software on the platform on which you are comfortable. Whether it is a separate web site, app Facebook, Chrome OS application or an application for Android / iPhone. Depending on the platform the software will change the amount of the proposed functionality and design to provide the highest quality user experience, provide access to data and environment.

10. Cloud is a ground h4> Cloud technology has changed the world forever. There is no more weight limits, clouds allow access to previously unimaginable resources, data and capabilities. Infrastructure for Software 3.0 is in the cloud. If the task requires intensive computation for a long time, this can occur in the cloud. The user also will be delivered only result.

Conclusion h4> The world is accelerating, almost all of the principles described above can be implemented today. I believe that every day we see more and more services that meet the principles of Software 3.0. These services will help users to solve their problems effectively. Once upon a time I was reading a book by two professors from Sweden "Funky Business" . I think that makes the Software 3.0 is described in this book approach to business opportunity right now.

Eugene lard
CEO Pics.io

Source: habrahabr.ru/company/toptechphoto/blog/225869/

Tags

See also

New and interesting