Monument to Peter I in St. Petersburg

One of the most famous monuments of the northern capital of Russia is the Bronze Horseman. Monument to Peter I on the Senate Square is where the addition of a bright sample of Russian sculpture, there are many other interesting attractions, namely the Admiralty and St. Isaac's Cathedral.

The initiator of the sculptures made Empress Catherine II. Wanting to decorate Petrograd beautiful monument, she turned to Diderot and Voltaire, a professor of the Paris Academy of Painting. The great French philosophers advised candidacy sculpture Etienne-Maurice Falconet, and the Russian Empress confided their view.

It should be noted that Falcone agreed without hesitation, when he learned of the scale of the project. Above the model sculpture he and his seventeen-year assistant Marie-Anne Collot worked in the Winter Palace of Elizabeth II. Equestrian statue of enormous size, he drew two horses - Caprice and diamonds. Watching the rider flew to the platform, Falcone made sketches, and soon started to Peter I. If a body cast Emperor difficulties arose, the person Bronze Horseman sculptor remade several times, but never won the approval of Catherine II. Fortunately, successfully sculpt the head of Peter I was able assistant Marie-Anne Collot.

After the deterioration of relations with Catherine II Falcone, along with Marie-Anne Collot was forced to go to Paris. French sculptor did not see how the sound of drumming from the monument flew linen fence. Interestingly, the Bronze Horseman monument began to call later because of the eponymous poem by AS Pushkin. In fact, the famous monument was cast in bronze.

©

Tags

See also

New and interesting