Experience selection and ordering iBeacon

iBeacon , анонсированная Apple in the recent past, the technology of micro-micro-navigation and positioning. iBeacon is a small (about the size of a coin), a device that serves as a beacon. Specifically, broadcasts via Bluetooth Low Energy signal with a unique identifier. The beacon signal is detected smartphone to determine the distance to it. Detection range depending on the model of the lighthouse reaches 50-70 meters. Lighthouse operates autonomously from the batteries, which will last from six months to two or even three years.

Possible applications are limited only by the imagination:
in-door navigation in shopping centers, at exhibitions and conferences; in-place information and special offers for visitors to trade networks; Smartphone - tour guide in museums ; Smartphone - key to the apartment, a car, a hotel room or a pass to the office.

Conditionally divided into three categories of suppliers:
Chinese suppliers; distributors of "developed Western" countries; Western developers turnkey solutions for specific tasks.

Chinese suppliers h4> Chinese supplier I was looking through the service Alibaba.com - a trading platform for manufacturers. Query «iBeacon» issued about 400 positions from 30 manufacturers. A distinctive feature of this category - they just sell a piece of metal with documentation and a minimum set of tools for configuration. In fact, this first-hand goods.

Not all of the issuance was relevant, in the end, I request samples for testing in about a dozen companies. That though is to reduce risks associated only with suppliers with the status «Gold Supplier». Next are selected based on the timeliness and quality of feedback.

Chose three suppliers, ordering each test sample 3-4:

Shenzhen Ankhmaway Electronic Technology Co., Ltd. Shenzhen Minew Technologies Co., Ltd. Beijing Aprilbrother Technology Co., Ltd.
 During refused:
Shenzhen Taida Century Technology Co., Ltd. - Show an analogue of Shenzhen Shuzhitong Technology Co., Ltd; Hongrun Electronics (Shenzhen) Co., Ltd. - Very sluggish feedback does not inspire confidence: Aladintel Network Technology Pte. Ltd - similarly unconvincing repulsed placing desire.
Shenzhen Ankhmaway Electronic Technology Co., Ltd. H5> The guys react promptly and readily understandable answer questions. The range consists of four models with different battery, the presence or absence of the plastic housing and the antenna, which determines the range of the signal. Together with beacons provides Toole and API for configuration. I stopped my choice on two models:
iB001

iB004

Shipping via EMS Russian Post took 10 calendar days.

Shenzhen Minew Technologies Co., Ltd. H5>

The result of a pleasant communication with the manager was the order of the samples. It is difficult to single out any particular - declared iBeacon standard functionality and application to configure the beacons. The models differ in color, you can also order a lot of their color at high volumes. Price for one beacon - $ 18. Shipping via EMS Russian Post took 7 days.

Beijing Aprilbrother Technology Co., Ltd h5>

Provides standard features compared to previous models. Piece of iron itself cost me $ 18.8. It is worth noting that I did not haggle about the price, because main purpose was to obtain and test Soup from different suppliers, try to work with them. When ordering large batches discount. Shipping via EMS Russian Post took 7 days.

Suppliers of "developed Western" countries h4> Western manufacturers lighthouses I basically vyguglival alone. Quite useful article appeared on beekn.com . Especially in this category is more pleasant, and sometimes the original design of the device, and overall product feed. Also, companies in this category try to provide at least a minimum set of tools for easy configuration of the beacons.

Of the ten options, I chose to sample the three suppliers, which produced the most enjoyable experience for its openness and efficiency in communication:

Kontakt.io , Poland; BlueCats , Australia; Accent Advanced Systems , Spain.
 Refused or postponed:
GeLo, USA, MI - May is expected to release an updated version of the devices; Gimbal by Qualcomm - do not work with Russia and position themselves as developers of the platform, not a supplier of iron; li > Sonic Notify - not willing to provide test samples; decision wider than based platform iBeacon; Estimote - after pre-order will have to wait 6 weeks; struck me as stingy on personal communication; Sensorberg - have not responded to the request of test samples; BlueSense Networks - not out on bond after the request of test samples; Radius Networks - not out on bond after the request of test samples.
Kontakt.io h5>

Friendly minded guys, happy to share information about their product. From features: give developers access to the CMS to manage beacons, download content and setting rules for its display in a mobile application. The cost of one unit when ordering a test batch - $ 27.

About shipping is to tell apart. Supplier choose UPS, which proved to be a fatal mistake. Since sending to receiving took 15 days, and one day on my trip to Vnukovo Airport and customs clearance. Dropping off the emotions experienced in the process, talk about the bottom line.

So. In case of sending the goods via UPS is in the process of customs clearance (in case of EMS - it either does not exist or it is transparent to the recipient in the case of small loads). Customs cleared only possible products for which there is a "notification". What is a "notification", how to find or get her staff UPS could not explain to me. Two weeks later reported that the goods are not likely to release a custom, and I can come to deal with them myself. Arriving, I had to spend about two hours to fill a variety of forms and document preparation. Employees UPS only done for me printout templates and invoices. About the "notification" I finally told a customs officer. I managed to find the place, "notification", then "gave good customs," and the next day I received the parcel. By the way, here it is, the screenshot at the cost of a two-week delay shipping and one-day showdown in place. Thanks for the help guys from thematic group on Facebook .

Accent Advanced Systems h5> In pure form, suppliers of iron, but from Spain. One of the two models have a remote button on the body of the lighthouse. Status pressing it together with the signal transmitted identifier. This allows you to build an interesting logic. For example, to confirm the actual location of the user in the area of ​​the lighthouse and the protection of emulation and fraud. Fly in the ointment - the status of pressing supported Android, and is not supported by iOS.
The cost of a single instance when you order a test batch - € 20.

With delivery in this case all too sad. The first premise, which I received via TNT reached to me within 13 days after the order. On opening it, I did not know whether to laugh or cry to me - come only from the housing units:

We must pay tribute Accent Advanced Systems. Right after my post about the patch manager sent me 4 device by the company. But sent via UPS. What happened next? Customs clearance, which failed due to lack of "notification" on this model. Sending went back to sunny Spain, and now we are discussing how to send it again.

BlueCats h5> Devices with the original design in the form of a cat's head. Features:
AA batteries, which should facilitate their replacement; Admin to easily manage individual beacons or just a bundle.
Photos do not apply, because the device has not yet been received. Since the payment at the time of publication of this article has been three weeks. The guys in the letters convince me that long sent the order, but does not provide any specifics (tracking number, for example).

summarize h4>

Supplier th> Country th> Features th> Price th> Shipping th> Shenzhen Ankhmaway China td > Standard lighthouse iB001: $ 20
iB004: $ 25
EMS, 10 days, $ 30 Shenzhen Minew a > China Standard lighthouse
$ 18 EMS, 7 days, $ 35 Beijing Aprilbrother China Standard lighthouse
$ 18, 8 EMS, 7 days, $ 15 Kontakt.io Poland «neat" design devices
CMS to manage beacons
demonstration application
$ 27 UPS, 15 days, 20 $
+ Hassle with UPS
Customs + Accent Advanced Systems Spain < / Marked button on housing
broadcasts its state
supported only on Android
€ 20 inattention