Altergaze: virtual reality for your smartphone

Stumbling on проект Altergaze on Kickstarter I was surprised at not finding articles about him on habrahabr. My article is intended to correct this misunderstanding.

What is it?
The project is based is simple, and therefore - very attractive idea to use your smartphone as a display for a virtual reality glasses. Modern smartphones contain an array of sensors, data on the orientation in space, as well as the location of which are used in dozens (or perhaps already in the hundreds) augmented reality applications. Also today, is no surprise smartphone with Full HD or close to it resolution.

How is it implemented? H5>
It's very simple: the developers have designed the model points, which are inserted two lenses and has a pocket for a smartphone. In the pocket insert your favorite smartphone - announced support for both IOS and Android, for applications in Unity developers made a special script camera that can be used for rapid integration, work in the direction of UDK abbr >. Supported applications broadcast two stereoscopic images on the two halves of the screen that the user is watching and gadget.
It is argued that the optical characteristics of the lens allows you to admire 3D image with полем view abbr> 110 °, the weight of the gadget (without smartphone) - about 220 grams.

Still wondering h5>
The highlight of the project is that the developers support the ideology of open-source. After the project, they promise to lay out all the details in the form of 3D models for non-commercial use. This step will create a huge field for custom modifications. *
* - Lenses and smart print does not, unfortunately;) i> sup>
Owning a workshop of three-dimensional printing even offered partnership in product distribution.

I'm too lazy for that h5>
It's okay! In the plans of developers also means the creation of an online store where you can gather in a virtual 3D Editor 'points of their dreams ».

How to play if the smartphone is worn on the head? H5>
The problem of interaction in games is proposed to solve with the help of yet another gadget that connects to the game as a controller.

Personally I wish the guys find its niche in the market of products of virtual reality, the competition - it is always good! Yes, and the gadget will cost much cheaper than Oculus Rift;)

Altergaze @ Kickstarter

Source: habrahabr.ru/post/217449/

Tags

See also

New and interesting