Legendary solo flight at 13 000 km

Fearless woman pilot flew the length of almost 13 000 km on the biplane 1940 release.
Difficult weather conditions in Europe have become a real challenge for Tracy Curtis Taylor during her journey from Cape Town to Goodwood, UK. 51-year-old woman finally fulfilled his dream of repeating the legendary flight of 1928, when Marie Hals was the first pilot, alone flown across Africa.
Miss Curtis Taylor began its journey in Cape Town, and has been, at Goodwood, in West Sussex.

She says, "The most important thing in these long flights, so you're in luck with the weather. In Europe, haunted by the strong crosswinds and headwinds. »

Miss Curtis Taylor first sat behind the wheel of the aircraft, when she was 16 years old. For more than 30 years of piloting aircraft is her hobby. In his journey she had to fly over the most beautiful and the most dangerous parts of Africa.
The maximum speed that can develop the plane Spirit of Artemis, -95 km / h, the maximum altitude at which you can letet- 3000 m. Kertis- Miss Lewis flied usually not very high, sometimes dropping to 4.5 metrov- example, when I am flying over Lake Natron in Kenya.

The most dangerous flight was in Egypt when she was ordered to take to the air to a height of 10,000 feet.
She said: "It is becoming colder, and the plane was flying slowly, I have run out of fuel, but they did not let me down below. I felt that I had lowered the temperature in the end I had to disobey them, and reduce the height & quot ;.

"When I flew over the Mediterranean, I was told to climb 4800 meters, but this was not possible, the maximum altitude at which the aircraft can climb, -3000 m.»
During his journey to Miss Curtis Taylor also flew over Botswana, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Tanzania, Uganda, South Sudan, the Republic of Sudan.
In Egypt, she had to stay, as the wind gusts reached 70 m / h.

Miss Curtis Taylor wanted to complete the project before Christmas, but strong winds over Europe forced her to land in Croatia and wait to establish good weather.

--img7--

Source:

Tags

See also

New and interesting