Photo Contest Winners

Winners of the photo contest National Geographic Photography Sontest 2013.

This year, the jury considered more than 7000 papers submitted by professional and novice photographers from 150 countries.

1st place in the category "Nature" and "grand prize". Polar bear peeking out from under the melting ice floes in Hudson Bay. (Photo and caption by Paul Souders / National Geographic Photo Contest)

1st place in the category "People". "Together, Apart". Portrait of a fifteen-year twins Niels and Emil, Funen, Denmark. This portrait belongs to the cycle of photos about people who feel a strong connection and often think of themselves "we" instead of "I". (Photo and caption by Cecile Baudier / National Geographic Photo Contest)

1st place in the category of "Places". "Long way to the dawn." A woman carries her child in a dense morning fog in Laocheng, which translated from Chinese means "old town". (Photo and caption by Adam Tan / National Geographic Photo Contest)

Honorable mention. "Crow's Nest". In Tokyo crows often build nests out of clothes hangers. The city has few trees, and the birds do not have enough material to build nests, so they steal hangers with balconies. As a result, nests look like art installations on the use of recyclable materials. (Photo and caption by Yosuke Kashiwakura / National Geographic Photo Contest)

Honorable mention. "The Indian Rhinoceros, a Canadian winter." Indian Rhinoceros away from home in the Toronto Zoo. (Photo and caption by Stephen De Lisle / National Geographic Photo Contest)

Honorable mention. "Flying heron." Great white heron on the river Danube in Hungary. (Photo and caption by Réka Zsirmon / National Geographic Photo Contest)

Honorable mention. "Cows and kites." I was driving on the highway along the coast, when he noticed the cows that were lying in the sun on a deserted beach. At first I thought that it seemed to me, but it really was sunbathing cow. I parked my car at a distance, and went to him. It was a 35-degree heat. When I approached the cows, I had to lie on his stomach and crawl on hot sand, so as not to scare them and make this picture. It was worth it! (Photo and caption by Andrew Lever / National Geographic Photo Contest)

Honorable mention. "Cemetery". I can not put into words what a terrible feeling that came over me when I got here. I am 100 miles chasing a storm in the hope of making an unusual picture, and the landscape stunned me. (Photo and caption by Julie Fletcher / National Geographic Photo Contest)

Honorable mention. "Arabica in the Gambia." Arabica was born in New York, one of the largest cities in the world. She grew up and attended school in the heart of the Bronx. When the girl was 13 years old, his father decided to send her to a family in a small town Badzhakunda. Now she lives in a house without electricity for two hours bus ride from the nearest town. Girl works from morning till night, and she had no chance to leave the country. We Arabica have a passport, US citizen, what in her dream of every city, but she can no longer use it. These are the traditions of her family. (Photo and caption by Bisig Maurin / National Geographic Photo Contest)

Honorable mention. "Francesca". My girlfriend Francesca in his car. (Photo and caption by Michele De Punzio / National Geographic Photo Contest)

Honorable mention. "Life on the banks of the river polluted." Boy playing with balloons on the river Buriganga River in the smoke from burning dumps at sunset in Dhaka, Bangladesh. (Photo and caption by Andrew Biraj / National Geographic Photo Contest)

Honorable mention. "Laurentiu". This image - a part of my cycle «ëFrumoasaí». «Frumoasa» in Romanian means "beauty". (Photo and caption by Aurélie Geurts / National Geographic Photo Contest)

©

Tags

See also

New and interesting