At the end of the summer on the street Maxim Gorky began large construction works. According to the project the central highway should get a four-carriageway modern bezshpalnymi tramway track with a soft swing, landscaped sidewalks. The point, of course, right. Such a large alteration of Maxim Gorky Street (formerly Hay) has not been much since 1811 when it was first applied to the very first plan of the city of Rostov-on-Don, signed Majesty the Russian Emperor Alexander I.
However, the first portion of the reconstruction was the old cemetery on the territory of Rostov, which all have forgotten. When workers for the first time stumbled upon human remains, they were alarmed and called the police. Law enforcement officials, convinced that this is a very old graves, and no crime here, lost to the human remains of any interest. A discovery of bones began to follow one after the other. On the walls of trenches dug for pipe conduit, it is possible to see the old niche graves from which protruded human kosti.Odnako the first portion of the reconstruction was the territory of the old cemetery in Rostov, which all have forgotten. When workers for the first time stumbled upon human remains, they were alarmed and called the police. Law enforcement officials, convinced that this is a very old graves, and no crime here, lost to the human remains of any interest. A discovery of bones began to follow one after the other. On the walls of trenches dug for water main pipes, one could see a niche of the old graves, of which human bones sticking out.
And bucket, reveals a layer of asphalt, where the roadway took place, stumbled on a brick wall. At first glance, it was clear that it is facing two ancient crypts. When the top of the vaulted ceiling with a few bricks removed from the hole clearly drawn corruption. Work stopped at a place called the findings of scientists, archeologists.
- Since the tombs could be the values I was in municipal government Interior Ministry, which is located just around the corner - the chairman of the Rostov branch of the Russian Society for Historic Preservation and Cultural Organization SA Kozhin. - On the intercom on duty described the situation and asked to allocate outfit patrol to guard the burial of the night to him under cover of darkness, vandals are not revealed.
One of the policemen, in the dark, began to shine a flashlight into the opening of the crypt. The beam of light was visible quite tselehonkim coffin studded with some colored border.
Unpleasant smell intensified and came to the public to watch it from the sidelines. One Mom hurried to withdraw their child, another woman aloud expressed fears that because of the opening of graves could spread any infection. Police wisely did not climb on the old grave, and covered the hole some cardboard. But the smell was still ...
Supervised work in opening the crypts and examination leading archaeologist public autonomous institution "Don heritage" Alexei Garmashov. One of the first working versions (before the opening of graves) was - that priests are buried here - the ministers of the Rostov church in the name of Stanislav, which before the revolution was built nearby, in the alley Cathedral. This is suggested by the form of burial: crypts characterized more Catholics than Orthodox. In any case, it was clear that there were buried not ordinary the Rostov, but rather clerics.
Nearby, on the site of the "House of professors" (Cathedral, 39) it was once built the majestic church of the Assumption (demolished in the 30s of the last century). Around him, the cemetery was located. In the crypt could rest and priests of the temple.
However, a closer analysis of the historical finds, AI Garmashov put forward a completely different version. The fact is that the church and the Assumption Cathedral was built in the 80-ies of the XIX century, when the Hay Street already existed, although it was the outskirts of Rostov. Arrange the crypts under the feet of passers-by and the wheels of carts, of course, no one would. Consequently, disposal should be referred to an earlier period.
And before that next to this place was a church of All Saints. Her story began in 1785 when Dimitry fortress was decided to build a new, more spacious Protection Church. The old wooden church was dismantled and the materials were used to build a temple at the city cemetery, which was then at the intersection of the Catholic alley with current Chervonoarmiiska streets and the Greek city of Volos. The church was built very quickly, in just a year and a half, and May 19, 1787 Archpriest John was consecrated in the name of All Saints.
City cemetery was abolished at the beginning of the XIX century - the foreground of Rostov, it has been noted by a dotted line. City graveyard was moved to the west, in the new settlement (Now this place is the Palace of Sports). A Hay Street, as noted by AI Garmashov, the first urban plan although it was marked, but only as a promising, coming under the building. In fact, in those years, this area represented the grassy wasteland.
Much later the cemetery was demolished, it had been laid on Hay Street, in Soviet times, which received the name of Maxim Gorky. All Saints church burnt down as a result of the great fire of October 3, 1865. It was not restored, as at this time in a new city cemetery, at the expense of the mayor AM Baikov, was founded a new church, which became All Saints (blown up in 1966). A crypts, as well as other tombs of the old city cemetery, came under the feet of passers-by.
- Consequently, in these graves is likely to lie priests of ancient All Saints church. And they were buried not later 30-ies of the XVIII century - concludes on the basis of historical analysis conducted by a leading archaeologist "Don heritage" Alexei Ivanovich Garmashov.