Why experienced gardeners necessarily sow beets for winter and how to do it competently

My grandmother sows beets every year in late autumn. Sowing beets for winter is not the most common practice. But she kept repeating it year after year. Now I do the same. Why? Editorial "Site" I will tell you in today’s article.

The main reason for this event is the early harvest. When sowing for winter, you can get the first fruits two to three weeks earlier than when sowing in spring. And the shoots will be much better. It is worth noting that this method of sowing is best suited for regions where the summer period is short and cold. Seeds do not have time to go through full vegetation. Because of this, sprouts can be scarce.

Just sowing beets in winter helps the seeds to develop better. In addition, you will not need to guess the weather in the spring to have time to sow beets on time. If you are excited about this idea, then you need to consider a few nuances. First, let’s talk about the advantages and disadvantages of this method.

The advantages and disadvantages of autumn sowing are many, and they are undeniable. Like I said, this is an early harvest. This saves time in the already busy spring season. Also with this method you can get a plentiful and healthy harvest. It will be easier for the spring weather. Such plants will grow well even at a low temperature. This is true for a cool spring. And it’s also a great way to use seeds that are coming to an end this year.

The advantages are clear, but we should also mention the disadvantages. For example, you need to responsibly approach not only the choice of beet varieties, but also carefully choose a place for sowing. You should also consider the possibility that early shoots will not survive a very cold spring. The benefits, of course, are greater. But it's your choice.

We have already said that for autumn sowing we need to carefully prepare for autumn sowing. Not all types of beets are suitable for this. You need to choose special cold-resistant ones, for example, Podsupya A474 and Cold-resistant 19. This early-mature beet will surely delight you with an excellent harvest. Also to such cultivation are suitable varieties: Egyptian flat, General, Mulatka-chocolate, Noble mistress.

We've decided on varieties. Now you need to choose the time for landing. In autumn, a simple rule works: the later, the better. But don't drag it to the last. Watch the weather. Sowing should be carried out at a temperature not lower than -5 degrees. This is about the end of October or the beginning of November.

And the last is the competent selection of a site for sowing. You need to choose a place so that it does not flood in the spring, and in winter there was not too much snow. Beets like light and air. A place on a small hill is ideal. Also, do not forget to add fertilizer before sowing. Like compost or humus.

Seeds for autumn sowing cannot be sprouted or soaked. Sowing material must necessarily be dry. Therefore, no preparation of seeds is required. You can only select the largest seeds. This is all you need to consider when planting. Plant the seeds in the ground, fill the earth. Be sure to cut the mulch crops from above. You can add an additional layer of sawdust or leaves.

Thanks to this simple method of sowing, you will be able to get excellent shoots and an early harvest of beets. Do not forget to plant onions and garlic in the winter. I hope you succeed. Will you try sowing beets for the winter?

Tags

See also

New and interesting