I'm not too late

We are able to successfully learn new things and make difficult decisions all my life

— When your brain was in better shape?

People answer this question almost the same. First of all — not now. "My best years behind," "Me later", "It's not for my age" — these phrases are a say no matter they are 69 years old or 29. Can you imagine? “The best years” for some reason are always 10-20 years ago!

Let's see, is there actually a period in life when we are in the best mental shape?

Before the Internet to investigate cognitive abilities throughout life was difficult: most of the participants in the experiments were students or elderly people, and middle-aged people was more difficult to lure to help science.

Harvard researchers Joshua Hartshorn and Laura Germin running sites gameswithwords.org and testmybrain.org and placed it on the tests, which can go in a few minutes. Over the past few years thanks to these questionnaires, data were collected from 3 million people. And their studies provide the answer to the question posed at the beginning of the article.

First Germin found that after 30 years, the ability to recognize faces begins to weaken, and before that improves. These results differed with the popular theory that fluid intelligence reaches its peak of development in late adolescence. Fluid intelligence — one that helps us to think logically and to solve various problems, regardless of our past experience.

Intrigued by this result, researchers have used the accumulated data to them: the archives of test results Wechsler intelligence and memory, which gave the idea of 30 different features of the intellectual development of many people.

Us for life enough moments in which our brain in great shape.

We developed a new method of processing such data. Scientists decided to test the age at which each characteristic peak has processed data from about 50’000 respondents and made sure that the peak indicators are distributed across the time axis.That is, we for life enough moments in which our brain in great shape.

For example, it was confirmed that new information better people working at 18 and 19 years, and then the skill starts to wane. In particular, high school students better remember names, dates and places.

Short-term memory continues to develop until 25, and then fixed and begins to wane after 35.

The emotional state of the other person people best read much later — in the period from 40 to 50 years.

One of the advantages of maturing of the brain predictably becomes a repository of accumulated over the years of information and experience. Vocabulary, it turns out that blooms to 60-70, 40-50 and not, as previously thought.

If you feel that your best years behind you, ask yourself: does you have so cleverly to cope with current tasks 10-20 years ago? Probably not.

By the way, another plus of growing up: older people are less likely to get stuck in negative thoughts; on the contrary, they are more likely to remember details of the various situations of his life.

Hartshorn and Germin continue to collect data for the study on the website, added new tests designed to determine the level of social and emotional intelligence, language skills and other characteristics. They plan to unleash the stored database so that it could use for their research. Once the details became clear about individual characteristics, scientists want to understand how it affects our lives.

But it is already possible to draw conclusions from their research: no definite "best" age for mental activity just yet. People in different ages cope well with different intellectual tasks.Of course, part of the cognitive skills weakened by age, but at the same time reveals others. So, we can successfully learn new things and make difficult decisions all my life.

In General, it's time to change the usual negative view of the age and cognitive ability. If you continue to throw your brain intellectual puzzles, not clutter it with unnecessary information and continue to learn new things, the likelihood that your best years are still ahead, not behind, only increase. published

Author: Max Tiles

P. S. And remember, just changing your mind — together we change the world! ©

Source: www.brainhack.me/2016/04/best-years/

Tags

See also

New and interesting