Edit the story of his own life

Social psychologist Timothy Wilson has devoted his research to how small changes in the interpretation of life events are helping to restore peace of mind. He calls this process "story editing". We have identified the most important thing.

Timothy Wilson argues that small tweaks in the interpretation of life events can result in many benefits. Usually to change history can take months or even years of therapy.

But Wilson found that with due diligence, similar results can be achieved in 45 minutes. He formulated his technique in the 80-ies, when rethinking the history helped College students with chronically poor grades to raise your level of achievement. Many of them are constantly repeated to himself the story "I was a bad student in school," she sokolovas in their minds and had a stronger inhibitory effect.

Wilson gave his students a new story: "at First all test failures."

To this end, he asked them to read the essays of those students who initially experienced difficulties in learning, but then came to a consistently good level.

The 40-minute intervention bore fruit three years later. "Those who were involved in the technique of changing their own history, have improved their grades — unlike the others, says Wilson. — To our surprise, those students, whose history we have managed to influence were more likely to remain in College, and people from the control group flew more likely".

This approach helped introverted teenagers who felt uncomfortable among their peers and families, where it was recorded, the mistreatment of children.

If You believe in the possibility of change — improve intelligence or sociability — that may trigger significant internal changes. For four days, write for fifteen minutes about their dreams or on the contrary — about the painful events in Your life that still haunt you. Nothing more is required.

Wilson suggests that we have a morbid habit again and again to scroll in the head sensitive issues — for example, "Why did he leave me?" or "Why I started to disappoint my loved ones?". Attempt to comprehend these matters on paper will help get to the bottom of the alarm, to explain its causes and consequences and thus to come to terms with it. published

P. S. And remember, only by changing their consumption — together we change the world! ©

Join us in Facebook , Vkontakte, Odnoklassniki

Source: theoryandpractice.ru/posts/8342-editing-your-lifes-stories

Tags

See also

New and interesting