Why does the current generation is doomed to failure

In the Time magazine article published controversial journalist Joel Stein, which is a slap in the face to all modern young people - generations JAJAJA, or as it is called, millenialam.

Look at the profiles of users of social networks, which in the photo album "A little bit me," contains about 300 photos. Read twitter man who writes as well as photographs in instagram: it's empty, no meaning, no ideas. And you realize that the problem raised in the article is more relevant than ever.

At the same time, Joel Stein partly justifies millenialov. Yes, they are self-centered and obsessed with fame. But there are also good features - practicality and optimism as a way to respond to the madness of the modern world. Website published an article that will make re-look at familiar things.

- < I'm going to do what I always do the old man I will call those who are younger than me, lazy, selfish and superficial. However, unlike their ancestors, I possess relevant studies, statistics and opinions of respected academics . In short, I have proof.

By the way, if you belong to a generation JAJAJA (from Eng. MeMeMe) and were born between 1980 and 2000, there were, your opinion will be of particular interest.

Narcissistic personality disorder is found in today's twentysomethings three times more than the generation of those who are now 65 and more; Students of 2009 to 58% more narcissistic than the students of 1982. As they get older millenialy receive an amount of incentive prizes for participating in various contests and competitions that 40% of them expect to increase every two years , regardless of success. They are obsessed with fame They are confident in their own steepness They really lazy

Fire - it's time to do self

The industrial revolution made the individual more - he was able to move into the city to do business and create their own organization. The information revolution has only exacerbated the process of emancipation, giving the man the technology with which it can challenge the big organizations: bloggers versus newspapers, YouTube-directors against Hollywood studios, indie developers and hackers against industries and corporations, individual terrorists against entire nations .. .

Generation I Generation spawned JAJAJA whose technology became only more powerful than selfishness. If in 1950 the typical American middle-class family hang on the walls of his house wedding, school, and possibly the army photos, but today it is surrounded by 85 pictures of themselves and their pets.

Millenialy grew up in the era of multiplying Ya They record every step (FitBit), location (Foursquare) and genetic data (23 and Me). In comparison to previous generations, they are showing far less civil activity and almost do not participate in political life.

Because young people do not respect the power, it is not disturbed by it, and. That is why they are the first nebuntuyuschimi teenagers.

blockquote>

In addition to the narcissism of one of the key qualities of a "oborzevshest." If you want to sell a workshop for middle managers, dedicate it to how to deal with young employees who write letters directly to CEO and blend in with the project, seemingly bored.

Although confidence in the future, young people stretch the life stage between adolescence and adulthood. The idea of ​​the teenager emerged in the 1920s; in 1910 only a small percentage of children going to secondary school. Most of these social interactions occur with older members of their own family or in the workplace.

Today, mobile phones allow kids to socialize every hour - according to Pew, they send about 88 messages a day and live under the constant influence of their friends.

«Peer pressure anti-intellectual, - says Mark Baurlyayn, professor of English at Emory. - History is not known to the people who could grow up under the influence of the same age. To evolve, you need people who are older than 17-year-olds are not mature, if only to communicate with the 17-year-old ... »

blockquote>

The constant search for a dose of dopamine ("Someone layknul my post on facebook!") Reduces creativity. According to test Torrance, creativity of young people has grown since the mid-1960s to mid-1980s. Then he fell - and dramatically collapsed in 1998. Since 2000, a similar drop in performance is observed with respect to empathy, which is necessary to be interested in other people and points of view. This is probably due to the increase of narcissism and lack of communication "face to face

What they are really masters, it's the ability to turn themselves into brands with huge tails of "my friends" and "followers". "On Facebook people fanning themselves as balls", - says Keith Campbell, a psychology professor at the University of Georgia.

Aktivnichaya in instagrame, YouTube and Twitter, you can become mikrozvezdoy. The current generation has grown up on a reality show, which is, in fact, Documentaries of Narcissus. They are prepared to live in this genre.

blockquote>

In 1979, Lech Christopher wrote in his "culture of narcissism»:
"Media nourish narcissistic dreams of glory, encouraging ordinary people to identify themselves with the stars and hate" herd ", thereby making the banality of everyday existence more and more intolerable».

Self-actualization millenialov - it is rather the continuation of a certain cultural and historical trend, rather than a revolution against the background of past generations. They are not a new species, but only mutants. Their arrogant cockiness - it's not so much a defensive reaction, as the technology to adapt to the environment - the world of abundance.

«Throughout history, most people were prepared for the modest role of farmers. This role is hardly able to realize fully the individual "- says Jeffrey Arnett, a professor of psychology at Clark University.

blockquote>

Despite his boldness and confidence millenialy postpone the adoption of major life decisions as choosing from a huge range of career options, many of which did not exist a decade ago. What kind of idiot would climb the career ladder in the company if before the 26 years he had to replace about 7 work? For the same reasons, young people today are getting married much later. For example, the average age of marriage for American women has increased from 20 years in 1967 to 26 in 2011.

«MTV has always been a territory free from their parents - tells MTV president Stephen Friedman, which now includes parents in almost each of his shows. - One of our studies have shown that today's youth delegate his superego parents. Even when it comes to the simple solution - our audience seeks advice from mom and dad ».

In 2012, the advertising of Google Chrome showed the student, to discuss all the details of his life with his father. "" Parents do not understand "- is an outdated cliche. The parents of most of my friends are active in social networks, and they rummage laykayut with them all sorts of things, "- said Jessica Brillhart, director of Google's Creative Lab, the author said infomercial.

Companies, meanwhile, are beginning to adapt not only to the habits of young people, but also their expectations in relation to the working atmosphere. A quarter of the 2,200 employees DreamWorks - under the age of 30. Dan Satervayt, that's 23 years in charge of the Department of interpersonal relationships in DreamWorks, he says that the pyramid Maslow tells us not only to pay the money to its employees, but also to provide them with self-actualization.

In the office Zynga millenialy introduce their dogs.

During working hours the employee has the opportunity to visit DreamWorks master class in photography, sculpture, painting, film and karate. Once a staff member persistently explained that Karate - is not the same thing as jiu-jitsu, and the company has added class jiu-jitsu.

Psychologists agree on one thing: millenialy nice
They tend to accept differences , not only regarding gays, women or minorities but for all. "No more of these" us versus them ". Maybe that's why the current generation and not rebels, "- says 17-year-old Tavi Dzhevinson managing the fashion magazine Rookie in his spare time from school. Tom Brokaw, the author of the concept of" the greatest of generations, "said, that life care of these people - this is a reasonable response to their world Millenialy persistent and optimistic For the most part, they need constant approval and publish their photos from fitting in store. They are terribly afraid to miss something and doing all of the abbreviations. They are obsessed with celebrities, but do not idealize them. They do not go to church because I do not want to be identified with large institutions. One third of people under the age of 30 - the highest percentage in history - are not religious. A new experience is more important to them than material things

Illustration on preview: Ixdaily

See also: What 25-year-old cry
The bitter truth about the 30-year

via www.adme.ru/svoboda-psihologiya/gorkaya-pravda-o-tridcatiletnih-1029810/

Tags

See also

New and interesting