Stockdale paradox proves that hope - a negative emotion

Hope more annoying and distracting than raduet

Although considered a positive sense of hope, it is still often perceived as an irritant or a manifestation of nihilism. There are two types of hope: one allows people to escape into the world of sweet fantasy, not a bad deal with the situation, while the other allows you to look at the full horror of his situation soberly, because they are firmly convinced that in the end prevail.

Both kinds of hopes, however, destructive at first sight: the first declines to escapism and wool-gathering, the second makes too focus on the harsh reality and not leave room for inspiration. This second kind of hope called Stockdale paradox.

Stockdale Paradox was named in honor of Admiral Jim Stockdale from the USA, who spent eight years in captivity during the Vietnam War. Stockdale was tortured more than 20 times and he could not be sure what will survive and once again see his beloved wife, but he never lost hope despite all the tests. He said:

«I never doubted not only that be freed from captivity, but that I will be the winner, and all I received experience will be a major event in my life. Looking back, I can say with confidence that would not change anything, even if I could ».

blockquote> What then is the paradox? Faith Stockdale distinguishes it from other prisoners, who were unable to come back alive. They said, "I'll be out of here by Christmas!", But Christmas passed, and they were saying, "I'll be out of here for Easter!", And then held Easter and Thanksgiving, and one more Christmas. As a result, many died of a heart attack.

Optimists could not accept the reality of their situation. They preferred to behave like ostriches - bury our heads in the sand and hope that the difficulties will bypass them by. Perhaps this self-deception made their life easier in the short term, but they eventually were forced to face reality, it was too horrible to them was able to cope with it.

Stockdale chose a different path - he accepted the reality he knew that he was in hell, but instead hide head in the sand, did everything he could to prolong the lives of other prisoners. He created a new code of conduct to the prisoners to communicate with each other and developed a system that helped them survive the torture. He was able to send his wife desired US intelligence data, hidden lines Intermedia seemingly innocent emails.

So, the paradox of Stockdale is this: you need not lose hope that, in the end, you win, no matter what, and at the same time to take current reality as a fact, no matter how harsh it was not.

We believe that from Stockdale paradox can be learned an important life lesson: Never doubt that will achieve their goals, no matter how high they are, and no matter how many around you critics and skeptics. But at the same time always a sober assessment of the situation: do not lie to yourself to experience short-term fear of embarrassment or discomfort, because in the end this deception will return to you a hundredfold and, in the end, you can break down.

via factroom.ru

Tags

See also

New and interesting