Breaking stereotypes: girls from the IT industry launched a campaign on Twitter

Just updated my Medium post! #iLookLikeAnEngineer pic.twitter.com/ szMTCuRVu0 - Isis Anchalee (isisAnchalee) August 3, 2015 blockquote> In the microblogging service Twitter, a new hashtag #ILookLikeAnEngineer (I look like an engineer). Its spread, girls and women working in the IT-industry, in order to show that the programming, even in very serious areas may well be a female occupation. It is quite possible to remain attractive, exercise, use cosmetics to look fashionable and even extravagant.

The story began with a poster advertising company OneLogin, dealing with computer security in San Francisco. Advertising among others has shown not a professional model, as it often happens, as an employee of Isis Wenger (Isis Wenger), which occupies the position, and Ruby on Rails- JavaScript-programmer.

Advertising as follows:

The appearance of an attractive girl in advertising company engaged in the IT-industry, was seen by many ambiguous and caused quite a stormy discussion on the social networks. Many for some reason decided that the image of Isis too sexy. "If they decide to dial into the company more women, it would be better to choose a photo with a sweet and friendly smile instead of sexy smirk," - said one of its subscribers Instagram. Also repeatedly expressed the opinion that Isis is not associated with "typical" representatives of the profession and advertising campaign to attract new employees will work in the wrong direction.

After a wave of negativity that struck the girl, she had written an opinion about what is happening around her in her блоге. Isis was very surprised by the reaction of the people: it is completely normal girl who just does his job, who loves anime and hip-hop, and suddenly does not fit the stereotype of the typical programmer. Probably the photograph of men on the advertising posters in the neighborhood with her more "realistic»:

In addition, many companies from the field of IT can afford much more blatant advertising that this burst of emotion causes:

All this prompted the decision to start Isis spread to Twitter hashtag new #ILookLikeAnEngineer, that girl from the world of computer technology could assert itself as a full-fledged male colleagues. The initiative Isis acquired some level of popularity and many girls become post your photos with the appropriate hashtag. In the context of the company did not forget to mention the famous Grace Hopper, a woman mathematician and author of the first compiler:

Admiral Grace Hopper will forever be an engineering superstar to all of us engineers. #ILookLikeAnEngineer pic.twitter.com/ mute8G3tcC - Werner Vogels (Werner) August 4, 2015 blockquote>
 After studying search Twitter for the hashtag #ILookLikeAnEngineer can detect a large number of attractive and feminine female programmers:

I work on International Growth at Pinterest and my hair game is ON POINT. #ILookLikeAnEngineer pic.twitter.com/ GRtKbTofcM - Tilde Ann Thurium (annthurium) August 3, 2015 blockquote>

I worked as an engineer at Intel + Twitter , now I build features for Windows at Microsoft # ILookLikeAnEngineer pic.twitter.com/ttGUnHseYH - dara (daraoke) 4 August 2015 blockquote>

I was one of the earliest engs Pinterest ; I've worked on infra, api, web, ads, homefeed & more #ILookLikeAnEngineer pic.twitter.com/vn0aS58JIv - Tracy Chou (triketora) August 4 2015 blockquote>

Source: geektimes.ru/post/259762/

Tags

See also

New and interesting