RadioShack filed for bankruptcy protection

Company RadioShack , which owns one of the oldest international franchises selling electronics, подала declaration of bankruptcy . Half of the nearly 4,000 stores around the world will be closed, and the rest - are sold. In the US there the premises buys provider of telecommunications Sprint . As a result, the work will lose 27,500 people.

The company's problems began in the 2000s, when it experienced a change of several managing directors and falling share prices. Over the past 15 years, the company gradually transformed electronics stores to stores selling electronic devices and mobile phones, the range of goods declined, and with it reduced the interest of buyers. Since 2011, the company was losing money.

The company has existed for almost 100 years, since 1921, when its first store opened Deutschman brothers in Boston. They decided to sell accessories for amateur radio, which was then a technical gimmick. In 1939, the company released the first catalog and entered the market of high-quality audio. In 1960 the company was on the verge of bankruptcy, but Charles Tandy , Texas millionaire who made his fortune by trading leather goods, spotted potential in the company and bought it for $ 300,000.

After that, the company's business, which was renamed the Tandy Radio Shack & Leather, went up the hill. In 1977, RadioShack released TRS-80 («Tandy / Radio Shack, Z-80 microprocessor»), one of the the first personal computers, which became a bestseller.

People just made it onto the rise and fall of companies with ностальгией remember the 70s and 80s, the boom of the first personal computers, and how RadioShack was the place to party the then geeks. Subsequently, she has slipped to just selling mobile electronics, and that has caused particular outrage some buyers to paid directories of their products.

"That's what happens when people stop to build something or repair their own hands. Throw it and buy a new "- complains user with the nickname" Anonymous Coward ".

"I remember in the early 80's the owner of RadioShack in my city let me fiddle with the then computers, like my grandfather bought me my first computer Radio Shack MC-10 to 10 years, and as I read the instructions in it from cover to cover twice four. On this computer, I learned to program - it had a 4K memory and expandable up to 16KB. But this store has long been in the past - now people are struggling to cope with the reading of advertising brochures, sell there stereos and mobile telephones "- sadly sighs" MightyMartian ".

"And I did a good time with the TRS-80 Model 1, and then replaced it on the TRS-80 Model II, because the first is obsolete! And geeks like everything new! Sucks that we live in a time when children do not play with electronics, or a set of young chemist, and look that there is another Kardashian threw, and retweet this stuff to each other - because, tree-winder, mathematics is very difficult for them " - angry the_skywise.

Jon Bois wrote whole article on the topic of how he worked at RadioShack in 2000 -x, and how bad it treated workers - were forced to work overtime without extra payment, delayed payments, and so on.

It is difficult to say whether poor management caused the failure of the company, or the interests of society has changed a lot - but in any case, RadioShack will be no more.

Source: geektimes.ru/post/245456/

Tags

See also

New and interesting