«I interrupt work and play a little in any game. Then I realize that I need to finish the job. » Blockquote> By 1996, when the rights to" Tetris "through a complex legal process after the collapse of the Soviet Union were finally transferred Pajitnov, he began to develop games for the next Xbox console from Microsoft. < br />
His work in Microsoft remained "essentially the same" as it was in Soviet Russia. He came to the office every morning to 10 in the morning and worked until about 13:30, when he went to lunch. The day ends at 10 or 11 pm.
- So I used to work - he told me - and so I worked all his working life. It's kind of a way of life.
I expressed some surprise about working 12 to 14 hours a day, even in America, but then Pajitnov said that to take breaks during the day. To play a video game, of course.
- Sometimes I get tired - he admitted. - I stop my job and play a little in any game. Then I realize that I need to finish my work. I return to my work and go forward.
Pajitnov was responsible for developing their own projects in Microsoft, «generator of ideas."
- Basically, I no longer have to be programmed, - he said.
Source: Tozai Games i>
Then Microsoft started to develop Xbox.
- I do not have to like. I am interested in logic games. And the Xbox was not created for them, - he said. - I tried to find a peaceful game on which to work. I do not like shooters.
But, according to Alexei, Microsoft has been nowhere near as successful manufacturer of consoles and games for them, how she finally managed to become.
- Microsoft has with the games it was not a very well - he says of those early days. - They did not understand their essence. They were not enough specialists. Somehow they did not hire the right people. And I felt a little stranger. The first couple of years of its development, Xbox era was a complete disaster. In Microsoft launch and close a lot of both good and bad projects. Everything was turned upside down.
He felt a confrontation with all groups in which he had to work.
- Nobody wanted my participation in their projects. And I do not want anyone else involved in the mine, - he said.
PC puzzle were put on the backburner, because Microsoft was armed for battle consoles.
- All my projects have a low priority. "We need to work on the Xbox! Xbox! »- He said, imitating the battle cry, distributed on campus Microsoft. By the time the Halo at the end of 2001, Pajitnov said that Microsoft «realized what was happening».
- I was at the starting point, - he continued, - when they make a lot of mistakes and unsuccessful moves.
At that time, as Pajitnov settled down at Microsoft, lives his old friend and business partner Vladimir Pokhil'ko turned tragic. In 1998 Pokhil'ko killed his wife and son and then himself for still unclear reasons. What happened that night in the south of Palo Alto, in the territory of the house Pokhil'ko shocked his family. Brutal murder made it all even more egregious.
As at the time reported newspaper «San Francisco Chronicle», «Pokhil'ko hit Fedotov, a popular yoga instructor, and Peter, a disciple of the seventh grade, a hammer and repeatedly struck him with a hunting knife wounds, apparently, when they went to bed. Then the same knife he cut his throat ».
- It is inconceivable that someone is capable of doing this to yourself and your child - then said a police spokesman Palo Alto Tami Gage.
"If we talk about Vladimir" - wrote me later Pajitnov by e-mail - "I can say that we have always been friends, colleagues, partners with good and warm relations».
By the time the dot-com bubble burst immediately after the start of the new millennium, Pajitnov already had sufficient income from the "Tetris" and he did not have to sell their options.
- In principle, I became quite wealthy, having some Microsoft shares without my fees.
It is a kind of felt that it was time to part with Microsoft. And quit. B>
But in 2005, Pajitnov returned, albeit briefly, as a contractor for the development of Microsoft Hexic, games like "Tetris" for Xbox 360.
- Hexic was pretty good - he says. - It was an interesting game. But Microsoft is sitting on a huge pile of intellectual property. They do not have the brains or hands, which would really have benefited, given these developments a second or third life, which is easy to be achieved.
- It's sad - he continues - Because some of Microsoft games were designed by me. And the work of many of my colleagues who worked there, was wasted. It is a pity.
When we approached the end of our conversation, I could not help but ask about the recent announcement movie a > "Tetris". To me it looks like a missed opportunity - a story about the falling blocks, and not about the person who created the game secretly working for the Soviet government.