Grand testing batteries

Each time you purchase batteries I have had many questions:

How expensive batteries better cheap?
As far as the capacity of lithium batteries more conventional?
As far as the capacity of salt batteries less than alkaline?
Are the batteries for digital devices from usual?
Which of the battery facing the same way, it is better to buy?

To get answers to these questions, I decided to test all AA and AAA batteries, which are able to find in Moscow. I have collected 58 species of AA batteries and 35 species of AAA. Total 255 battery has been tested - 170 AA and 85 AAA.

Earlier this year, I tested 18 batteries size AA and AAA and published a post more testing batteries . He aroused great interest, it has been viewed more than 150,000 times in the LJ and pilfered over the internet. Thereafter Oleg Artamonov gave me his analyzer battery a > and I decided to make a global test.

To improve the accuracy of measurements battery analyzer uses PWM - it creates a constant resistive load on the battery. The device can operate in different modes. To test the AA batteries used three basic modes:

• Bit constant current of 200 mA. This load is characteristic for electronic toys;
• The discharge pulses 1000 mA (load 10 seconds, 10 seconds pause). This load is typical of digital devices;
• The discharge pulses 2500 mA (load 10 seconds, 20 seconds pause). This load is characteristic for powerful digital devices - cameras, flashes.

In addition to the four batteries were discharged by small currents of 50 and 100 mA.

Measurements are made at low battery voltage up to 0.7 V.

All test data are summarized in Table:
nadezhin.ru/lj/ljfiles/bat_ammo1.xls

According to the schedule of the discharge can be clearly seen, the behavior of different types of batteries.

AA batteries discharge current of 200 mA:

The first five lines - Manganese batteries. It is clearly seen as less than their capacity.
The last three lines - lithium batteries. They not only have a greater capacity, but also discharged in another way: the voltage on them is reduced almost to the end, and then drops sharply. Especially clearly expressed in batteries GP Lithium. Besides lithium batteries can run in the cold.
Among the many similar alkaline batteries are clearly visible two outsiders - Sony Platinum and Panasonic Alkaline and two leaders - Duracell Turbo Max and Ansmann X-Power. The remaining batteries differ in capacity by only 15%.

You can explore each battery on an interactive graph of discharge: nadezhin.ru/lj/ljfiles/aa200.html . If you hover your mouse on any point of the graph, you will see the name of the batteries. If you click on a point, select the discharge curve of the battery. It is also possible to click on the names at the bottom of the battery. For interactive graphics thank Alexei Tyagelovu. Unfortunately on the interactive chart incorrectly displays the time of discharge. In fact, it is four times smaller.

The first diagram AA batteries ordered by capacity at a discharge current of 200 mA.

Batteries Duracell Turbo Max really have a capacity of a little more than that of all other alkaline batteries, but I got one pack Duracell Turbo Max, which were much worse than others. To capacity match the usual cheap batteries. The table and graphs are labeled «Duracell Turbo Max BAD». Post about these batteries: ammo1.livejournal.com/548534.html .

From the diagram clearly shows that the different batteries differently manifest themselves in the discharge of large and small currents. For example Camelion Plus Alkaline gives more energy than Camelion Digi Alkaline on a small stream. And at a great all the way around. Usually a battery designed for high currents indicate that they are designed for digital devices. At the same time there are many universal batteries, works fine with any currents.

I averaged amount of energy that the battery issue for large and small currents and on the basis of price and batteries (which in some cases are only approximate) amounted to chart the value of one watt-hours for all AA batteries.

All types of AAA batteries were discharged constant current of 200 mA. Certain types of AAA batteries were subjected to a second test - 1000 mA discharge current in the "permanent Impedance" (current is then decreased as the level). This mode emulates the batteries in the flashlight.

In the format AAA Duracell Turbo Max was far from the best alkaline battery. Many cheap batteries (such as Ikea, Navigator, aro, FlexPower) capacity was larger.

Interactive Chart discharge AAA batteries: nadezhin.ru/lj/ljfiles/aaa200.html .

Technical findings: i>

• Most alkaline batteries differ in capacity is only 15%;
• Lithium batteries are 1.5-3 times (depending on the load current) greater capacity than alkaline;
• Unlike alkaline, lithium battery voltage almost does not decrease in the discharge process;
• Manganese batteries 3.5 times worse than the alkali in small currents and absolutely can not work on large;
• There are three types of alkaline batteries: universal, designed for small load currents and designed for high load currents. In this case, the other two better universal at all currents.

Consumer conclusions: i>

• Manganese batteries to buy inappropriate. Even devices with the lowest intake of alkaline (Alkaline) last longer due to their longer shelf life;
• Most advantageous to buy batteries that are sold under the brands stores Auchan and Ikea;
• In other stores you can safely buy the cheapest alkaline batteries;
• From what is sold in grocery stores, the best choice - GP Super;
• Lithium batteries are expensive, but they are lighter, capacious and can work in the cold.

Most batteries have provided wholesale companies Source Betteris , and Power Systems and Technologies . Their batteries provided the company Ikea , Camelion, Navigator. Part of the batteries I bought in stores Auchan, Metro, OK, Yulmart, Pyaterochka, Dixie.

This article was written almost a year, so all prices are in the summer of 2014.

My articles about batteries:

«Chemistry" batteries
Batteries and frost
capacity AA batteries and AAA

p.s. I remind you that the batteries should be disposed of in normal household waste. To find out where to take the batteries here: yopolis.ru/l/batareyka .

© 2014 Alex Nadёzhin.

Source: geektimes.ru/company/madrobots/blog/243377/

Tags

See also

New and interesting