Own experience and review of NAS Synology DS214

Hello, dear habrazhiteli. Today I wanted to share with you my impressions of using NAS Synology DS214.

I hope my efforts were not wasted, and someone like this article and will be useful in the further choice.

I decided to do this because the vast runet at the time (about six months ago), I could not find a review of the device, not including promotional articles and review functions and photos that anyone can visit the official website. In this mini-review, I will not write a clear information on the number of connectors, appearance, and so on. E. You can always go to the site and see Synology it in the original Synology DS214 . Measurements hard drive speed is also not carried out, ie. To. In my opinion, this is not the main indicator of NASa, given the fact that I did not knowingly use the fastest hard drives Series WD Red, which are designed specifically for use in the network drives to work 24 \ 7.

To begin with I would like to tell you why the choice fell on this device and why do I needed a NAS (Network Attached Storage).

Frankly, even 7 months ago, I did not know what the NAS and what is it used. I know that there are plenty of different kinds of network drives, RAID arrays and other piece of iron, but what is the definition of NAS - I did not know. It took me a month to find out what it is and decide to buy.

initially pursued goals:
- Storage of backups;
- Storing large amounts of data (video, photo);
- Access to data from anywhere;
- Required data mirroring Raid 1 array;
- Part of the routine functions of the PC to assign to a small box (to get access to all your files, not including PC);

For these purposes would come up probably the cheapest network drive. But I wanted more, with a reserve, and I got this stock.

I chose this model for several reasons:
- In my town, I found a very attractive price;
- There are USB ports for connecting external devices;
- Compact size (like a loaf of bread);
- A proven name Synology;
- 2 compartments for hard drives to create a Raid 1;
- Timely OS updates and software;
- A lot of ready-made packages to install and extend the functionality of NAS;
- Quiet and small device that allows you to not keep turning on the PC

So what is a NAS for me personally? For me it's a piece of iron, which is 24 \ 7 is connected to the external network. Which works silently, consumes little power and in general, does not extradite its presence. On this piece of iron loaded all my photos, important documents and all my information. Set up automatic backups from multiple machines. Running WebDAV / FTP server that can be accessed all my friends. Their photos / videos I see the same anywhere via iPhone, for which Synology has a full range of software for all tastes, which I will write later.

Storage and Backup h4> I guess this is one of the most important features for me personally. In the days of the student several times I lost my documents, courses, diplomas through their own fault or the fault of the case. After that, I often thought that someday will happen a similar situation and I can lose all your photos, videos, important documents for all the years of his life. And that memories, emotions, finances, after all. Photos - the most valuable thing that I have on my NAS (well, backups, of course), t. To. All sorts of documents, projects, and so on. D. Can be easily spread to different cloud storage such as Dropbox, GoogleDrive, YandexDisk, etc. Weigh the benefit of these files are a matter of megabytes.

Recently, my friend lost all my contacts that he had on the computer of stupidity and then I definitely decided what to do backups.

Backup in Windows I have set up is quite simple. Set up a standard tool Backup & Restore, which downloads every week a backup to a network drive, which is my network drive. After the purchase I was faced with another problem - 100Mbps too little for normal loading a backup, which weighs about 150Gb. Therefore was bought the cheapest switch to 1Gbps, and the problem was solved. Now, I do not notice when Windows makes copying. NAS 1Gbit network operates at speeds close to its own hard drive.

FTP / TFTP / WebDav h4> protocol data I personally do not use it too often, but it is their use people who store their data on my NASe (acquaintances, friends). Yes, the disk space I share with my friends and acquaintances, t. To. Many have important files, but not everyone has the device for backup. I do not mind a few hundred megabytes, gigabytes or more, and people may save you from frustration and trouble.

For those who have a computer at YOU - I configured WebDav. In this case, the user sees just another logical drive in your computer, and the rest he already does not necessarily know. To configure WebDav only need to include a check and give the user the right:

FTP / TFTP I share with people who are quite well versed in computers, know what kind of protocols, how to use them and what restrictions they impose.
Include similar - one tick and user rights.

All connected users are displayed in the widget on the desktop. They can also view and in the magazine, which is very convenient.

I myself do not use almost any protocols. House to load and unload data to a network drive, which is my network drive, while at work or elsewhere using a Web interface, which is quite nice and comfortable. By the way, it can be used with any mobile device.

VPN Server h4> Before meeting with the NAS I've never used VPN servers on a regular basis. But when I got this opportunity, I immediately set up it on a piece of iron. Where I use VPN? In any public place where there is wifi without a password. The iPhone is set vpn client that connects to my server and voila - I am protected.

The package VPN Server has 3 options - PPTP, OpenVPN, L2TP / IPSec.
Customizable quite simple - one tick and user rights.

Torrent and download files h4> I am taking this opportunity very often, but I suspect that most will be interesting to see how it is implemented.
To this end, the Centre has a package Package Download Station, which is just a torrent client and rocking and files. It looks like this:

At one point, displaying the usual torrent files that have been uploaded. Add very simple: push the "plus" adds torrent "plus on the globe," adds a link for downloading. Difficult to get confused.

You can search files on the list of torrent trackers:

Photo Station h4> This package is the most pleasant and comfortable. It allows you to organize your photo collection and view it from any device anywhere in the world.
After you install the package and download photos in a folder you created, begins indexing files and create previews, which can last up to several days, if you thousands collection. This is to ensure that each time you view a photo devices do not have to load the full-size image.

All packages I can not describe, but in a nutshell try to tell:
- A set of packages to raise the full Web server in conjunction with PHP + MySQL;
- CMS packages (Prestashop, Wordpress, Drupal);
- Easy to customize your mail server using a package Mail Server;
- Like video surveillance? Not a problem - you have a package for Surveillance Station;
- Want protection from viruses? There is a package Antivirus Essential;
- Want a complete multimedia center for viewing on a TV? Use packages Video Station and media server, plus DLNA, which is also very easy to configure;

In short, a lot of packages. I think they will be able to satisfy the needs of most users.

In more detail with the operating system and the list of packages you can see in the demo version: Synology DSM Demo

External Devices h4> If the box has a USB port, so it is possible for something to connect. Let's see what it is that can be connected to the black box?
Here is the complete list of devices: connected devices

which connects I personally h5> Flash card

UPS

WiFi

Personally, I think that even 300Mbps too small for comfortable work home with large amounts of data, so if you have a desktop computer, it is best to use a wired network 1Gbit.

Mobile Applications h4> As I wrote, Synology has provided us with a full suite of mobile applications to work with our device. Yet to focus, not just work, and complete the work, which is not much different from working with the desktop version. I use the IOS, and therefore will discuss the packages for this operating system:

DS Audio - analogue package Audio Station. Allows you to listen to and manage your audio collection on the device.
DS Video - analogue package Video Station. Everything is the same. See our video collection.
DS File - analogue File Station. Allows you to manage your files, upload them on your device and watch videos \ documents anywhere.
DS Finder - a program to search for your NAS in the local network.
DS Photo + - very convenient program for viewing pictures. All done in a very comfortable and beautiful. Implemented avtovygruzka photos from your phone to NAS, as is done in Dropbox. To do this, just need to open the program.
DS Cloud - analogue Dropbox from Synology. Personally I do not use this package. There is a more interesting package Cloud Syns for desktop version, which allows you to synchronize Google Drive, Dropbox, Baidu Cloud. The idea is that whatever you add \ remove these services will be automatically synchronized with your NAS. It turns out a kind of backup of your cloud services.
DS Download - analogue Download Station. Manage your downloads. Stop, start, add, delete, statistics, and so on. D.
DS Cam - the name it is clear that if you are using video surveillance, this package allows you to monitor and control your camera from your mobile device.
All packages are available both for iPhone and for iPad.

Personally, I often use the DS Photo + to view and download photos from your phone and DS File, in those cases where I want to download into the phone a film workshop and so on. D.

Pros h4> I want to note the main advantages of this device:
Silence. B> Yes, this device is really very quiet, especially in conjunction with disks WD Red. I sleep two meters away from him, and hear only the delicate rustle.
Dimensions. B> a small box the size of a loaf of bread can fit anywhere and will look stylish even on the desktop.
Synology. It Just Works A full range of mobile applications Available USB port 2 compartments for storage Linux. B> If you have certain knowledge and skills of the device can be upgraded, you have access to the terminal for ssh, telnet. But it also has a disadvantage, which I write below.
SMS, Skype, Email notification. B> This is really cool. With any change in status of the device (adjustable), it immediately sends a notification to you in Skype, email, sms. In Skype me another piece of iron, no notifications are not despatched. It feels as if she communicates with you.
Applications. B> In the center of the packet you will find applications for every taste.
Performance Dynamic DNS

Cons h4> Of course, any device has disadvantages. To each their own. But I will tell you about those that I personally see and feel.

Price. B> Yes, I think for many it is the main disadvantage. $ 400 for a piece of iron, even without disks, not a small amount. If there is direct hand knowledge and full NAS can collect yourself. And productivity will also cheaper. Here is all depends on the person. But it is unlikely you'll have it all to gather in the same small package and in the same quiet, though still it all depends on the willingness and skills.
If you have the time, desire, and in the future to support their personal NASa, certainly better to collect herself. But if you want a beautiful, functional, reliable device out of the box, which does not require almost no deep knowledge, but it is still 100% performs its functions - take ready NAS.
Dust. B> In my model uses a fan to blow. It is logical that the air from somewhere to take him to need. Therefore, it takes with it all the existing gaps and holes on the front and side panels. Now all the slots and front USB port I completely clogged with dust. Not very aesthetically pleasing and nice to see. But every six months, and I think you can wipe with a cloth.
Linux. B> As I wrote above, the device uses Linux, though trimmed. But there is one problem. In DS214 uses a new processor Marvell Armada XP. Full specifications: Marvell Armada XP

To learn processors in other devices Synology, use page Synology NAS CPU .

So, to extend the functionality of NAS, it is necessary to put Bootstrap and ipkg, which in the future will allow you to put a third-party packages by hand. But for our type of processor are no Bootstrap. Instructions for installing these packages on older versions of processors you can see here: Synology Wiki .

If someone knows a way how to install ipkg for this type of CPU, please share in the comments.

Port Forwarding. B> I decided to make this point in the negative, though in fact it is there and the pros (the ease of the process). Yes, if you work for NATom and you do not have an IP address white - you need are forwarding ports on a router that not every user is able to do. In the DS214 is implemented fairly simple. You press a couple of buttons, black box determines your router itself using UPnP creates rules for ports. Personally, I have my router TP-Link WR842ND it works fine. But with firmware DD-WRT does not want t. E. The firmware determines the right, but somehow at the end of the process of creating rules writes an error, though in fact the rules are fine. In this case, it must be done manually on the router.

Standard ports. B> This comes less from the previous one. Standard Admin runs on port 5000, t. E. To connect to the device from another location, you need to enter in the browser http://myname.myds.me 5000 . But there is one problem - not all open port 5000 on the level of provider \ router. href="http://myname.myds.me:5000/fbsharing/yG67cCKg">http://myname.myds.me:5000/fbsharing/yG67cCKg

P.S.

Tags

See also

New and interesting