Moscow 1956 at the photographs of French tourists

In September 1956, he arrived in Moscow Jacques Dupâquier - French scholar, historian and demographer, a member of the French Academy of Moral and Political Sciences, and at the same time a Marxist and a member of the French Communist Party. "This freedom in 1956, the USSR was not even in the time of Gorbachev" - recalled in an interview with Jacques Dyupake - "For our delegation, there was no police control, I broke away from the group and spend hours wandering the streets alone. I knew a little Russian and was able to ask for directions. We were in the Soviet Union in interesting times, Soviet society is experiencing a moral catastrophe after Khrushchev's speech at the Twentieth Congress. No one knew what is possible and what is not, I did everything that I wanted, it was especially exciting. I filmed drunk, lying on the central streets of Moscow, and the police, contrary to my expectations, did not try to interfere or take away the camera. " Asked what most surprised him in the Soviet capital, Dyupake replied: "I was amazed that in 1956 Moscow for more than half of the city was made of wood, and outside the central streets of the poverty reigned."

via source

Tags

See also

New and interesting