As Bill Gates bought the program

It is said that this is the real Bill Gates a letter to his colleagues in Microsoft

- Original Message -
Sent: Wednesday, January 15, 2003 10:05 AM
To: Jim Allchin
Cc: Chris Jones (WINDOWS); Bharat Shah (NT); Joe Peterson; Will Poole; Brian Valentine; Anoop Gupta (RESEARCH)
Subject: Windows Usability Systematic degradation flame

I am very disappointed with how deteriorating usability of Windows, and the program management groups do not correct these problems.

Let me tell you, what I had to face yesterday.

I decided to download (Moviemaker) and buy a set of Digital Plus ... so I went to Microsoft.com. There is a place to download and I went there.

The first 5 times, until I went to the site, it is not loaded because of delays in rendering the page downloads. Then after an 8 second delay she finally appeared.

The site is so slow that it can not be used.

Programs were not in the top five, so I had to expand the list of the remaining 45.

These 45 names totally confusing. Because these names a name like C: \ Documents and Settings \ billg \ My Documents \ My Pictures looks incredibly simple.

They are not filtered by the system ... and so all things strange.

I tried to go to Media. Moviemaker there. I dialed the movie. It's nothing. I dialed the movie maker. Nothing.

I gave up and sent mail to Amir asking - where this Moviemaker download? He even exists?

So they told me that using the download page to download anything - this is not what they expected. (Approx. Per. At this point, I almost fell off the chair).

They told me to go to the search on the home page and type movie maker (and not moviemaker!).

I tried it. The site was very slow but after 6 seconds of waiting, he booted.

I thought that now surely I see a button to just go and download a file.

In fact it is more like a puzzle to be solved. The site says that I need to go to Windows Update and there is still a whole bunch of utter magic.

I thought it was very strange. Why should I go somewhere else and scan your PC to download moviemaker?

I went to Windows Update. Windows Update decides I need to download a bunch of all sorts of things. Not once, not twice, but many times I had to see the weird dialog boxes.

Is Windows Update does not know the specific code to talk to Windows?

Then I had a scan. It took a while, and then I was told that I should definitely say 17MB all the pieces.
This is after I was told that we are doing a delta update, but instead to download 6 updates that can be referred to as scary, I had to download 17MB.

Well I downloaded it. Everything was fast. Then it wanted to install. It took 6 minutes and the machine was so slow I could not use it for anything else during this time.

What the hell are they doing in those 6 minutes? Wow. And that, after all download.

Then it told me to reboot my computer. Why should I do this? I overload it every night - why should I do now?

I did a restart, because it insists on it. Of course, this means the entire state to get rid of Outlook.

The computer booted up and went back to Windows Update. I forgot that I was doing in Windows Update, because all that I had - is Moviemaker.

So I went back to Microsoft.com and looked at the instructions. I had to click on the folder called Windows XP. Why would I do that? Windows Update knows I am on Windows XP.

What does it mean that we have to click on this folder? As a result, I got a bunch of confusing stuff, but at least there was a Moviemaker.

So I downloaded it. Downloading passed quickly, but installation took many minutes. Amazing how slow this thing is.

At some point, it tells me that I need to download the Windows Media Series 9.

Therefore, I decide that I will do it. This time I get a dialog with buttons "open" and "save". Any tips and instructions, what exactly should be done. I do not know exactly what to do.

Download is fast, and the installation of this thing takes 7 minutes.

Now I think that Moviemaker I already have. I go to a place add / remove programs to make sure that it is already installed.

He's not there.

And what is it? And that's what. Microsoft Autoupdate Exclusive test package, Microsoft Autoupdate Reboot test package, Microsoft Autoupdate testpackage1. Microsoft AUtoupdate testpackage2, Microsoft Autoupdate Test package3.

Someone decided to kill the only part of Windows, which could use? The file system is no longer working. Registry can not be used. This list of programs was the only normal place, but now it dirtied.

But this is only the beginning of chaos. Then I had things like Windows XP Hotfix see Q329048 for more information. What Q329048? Why are these patches listed here? Some patches are called simply Q810655 instead write see Q329048 for more information.

Mess.

Moviemaker And there is still no.

In the end, I gave up about Moviemaker and decided to download the Digital Plus Package.

I said that I have to enter a lot of information about themselves.

I entered all the information, and because of the fact that it decides that I mistyped something I have to do it again. Of course, it has removed most of what I typed.

I try (dial) has it right 5 times and it still removes the typed text that I typed it again.

So after over an hour of madness and zagazhivaniya my list of programs and guidance to fear, and a terrible place observation site Microsoft.com, I did not get Moviemaker and was not able to buy a set of Digital Plus.

Lack of attention to the ease of use described in this experiment, tearing my brain. I thought that after the Windows Network or messages when I try to use 802.11 (whether you like the reports of root certificate?) Will not be worse.
When I finally get to the program, I am sure I will have more information for you.

Source:

Tags

See also

New and interesting