STALINGRAD 1942/43 - VOLGOGRAD 2013

Via LJ. Sergei Larenkov.
Total entries 65 photos (strongly recommend to look at all of the link), but I tried to choose the most interesting in my opinion.
Let's go ...

I've been wanting to take a picture on the background of Stalingrad in Volgograd, but I held back the idea that I can hardly find anything in the city that during the war, was completely destroyed. Over time, to explore the city from a distance, it became clear that all is not lost. And I was lucky, I met with people who are very dear to the city and its history. I arrived at the Hero City in late February and in three days we were able to find and capture what you see below.

1942 Stalingrad - Volgograd 2013 Obelisk in the Plaza of the fallen fighters.

So, the summer of 1942. After a disaster, the Red Army near Kharkov in the frontline to the Don steppes exposed, and overcoming a few desperate resistance of the Soviet troops, the Wehrmacht launched an offensive toward the Volga and the Caucasus. August 23 Germans out of Stalingrad, on the same day the worst airstrike German bombers that turned the once flourishing city in ruins solid. In just a few hours, killing more than 40 thousand inhabitants.

Stalingrad 1942 - Volgograd, 2013. German ACS Shturmgeshutts at the Lipetsk st.

Stalingrad 1942 - Volgograd, 2013. Street Ostrovsky. Refugee women with things.

Acute angle, the remainder of the hotel "Most of Stalingrad" allows you to calculate with some accuracy the place. All modern buildings are built in the frame without reference to the foundations of the old, new places.

Stalingrad 1942 - Volgograd, 2013. After the battle on the Square of Fallen Fighters at the House of pilots.
At the site of the House of pilots (left) is now building Volgograd State Medical University, connected with arch-Hostess "Volgograd" to the right (also the new building). A Pushkin Street between them remained.

Stalingrad 1942 - Volgograd, 2013. The Germans at the Kursk street. (str. Port Saeed)
The former school building (now the Engineering and Technical Lyceum) later was attached to the wing of the gym.

Stalingrad 1942 - Volgograd, 2013. Paulus at Stalingrad tsenre Street. Ostrovsky.
To the right one of the few surviving pre-war buildings in part, now it is the hotel Old Stalingrad.

Stalingrad 1947 - Volgograd, 2013. The building department store.
Str. Ostrowski in the courtyard of the hotel Intourist. It was here, in the cellar for the first time in the history of prisoner German Field Marshal surrendered.

Stalingrad 1942 - Volgograd, 2013. The soldiers of the Wehrmacht in the Kursk Street (now str. Port Saeed).
The building on the left (Port Said 8a) did not seem to have changed.

1943 Stalingrad - Volgograd Pavlov 2013.Dom.
Pavlov's House became a symbol of the defense of Stalingrad. In September 1942 assault group under the command of Sergeant Yakov Pavlov knocked the Germans out of the building. Soviet soldiers kept house, repulsing the attacks of the Nazis for two months until the liquidation of the German group. Field-Marshal Paulus on the first interrogation after capture confessed that when trying to capture the house on the square on January 9 Germany lost more of their soldiers than the conquest of France.

Stalingrad 1943 - Volgograd, 2013. The Soviet T-34 tanks at the station.
The station also includes fighting was heavily damaged. After the war, in its place built a new station, it bears little resemblance to the old.

Stalingrad 1943 - Volgograd, 2013. The monument to Stalin at the Museum of Defense of Tsaritsyn and the communal house.

Stalingrad 1942 - 2013. Volgograd Railway Station Square. Fountain "Children's dance».
This photo Emmanuel Evzerihin is the most famous photograph taken in combating Stalingrad.

Stalingrad 1943 - Volgograd, 2013. Fountain "Children's dance».
The fountain was rebuilt after the war, but in the 50 years analyzed as non-artistic value.
At the site of the fountain is now parking.

Stalingrad 1943 - Volgograd, 2013. dug in the courtyard of the school №3.
Tragic fate of the civilian population of Stalingrad. Of those who survived the bombing, many do not have time to evacuate, they had to live almost on the front line in the cellars and dugouts. In German-occupied territory of civilians are being evicted and drove to Germany.

Stalingrad 1943 - Volgograd, 2013. The T-34 at the Square of Fallen Fighters.
Again, it helped to bind the building department, shines through the hotel "Intourist".

Stalingrad 1943 - Volgograd, 2013. Beketovka. Paulus after the surrender before the first interrogation at the headquarters of the 64th Army.
January 30 Hitler Paulus was promoted to Field Marshal. Radiogram to this order has been accepted as a department store in the headquarters of Paulus had approached the Soviet assault groups. Hitler hoped that Paulus in this case prefer to shoot. However, this morning took delivery of Field Marshal captured. By 12 o'clock he was taken to the headquarters of Beketovku commander of the 64th Army, General Shumilova, where he hosted the first interrogation of Field Marshal.
This is the place to find it was not so hard (it was more difficult to pass). In the distance you can see the building of the hospital, perfectly preserved since then. But on closer inspection coincided at home on the right. But they look a little bit older and grew into the earth. 70 years, all are gone.

Stalingrad 1943 - Volgograd, 2013. The prisoners Germans in the Square of the fallen fighters.
In the Stalingrad cauldron it was captured more than 91 thousand German soldiers and officers, including 24 generals.

1943 Stalingrad - Volgograd 2013.Nemetskie burial at a department store.

Stalingrad 1943 - 2013 Destroyed mill Gerhardt and Panorama.
It is often mistakenly called Mill House Pavlova.

1943 Stalingrad - Volgograd 2013.Mamaev mound after fighting

Stalingrad 1943 - Volgograd, 2013. Gogol Street.
Building nail factory - one of the few still preserved after the war. On the left, behind the fence, the Museum of Defence and seen ahead of the one remaining corner of the hotel "Most of Stalingrad" and the area of ​​Fallen Fighters.

Stalingrad 1947 - Volgograd, 2013. Cartage
I read somewhere that some of the rear entrance to the camel carts in Berlin, it shocked Germans more than the Russian tanks.

Stalingrad 1943 - Volgograd, 2013. Str. Ogaryovo. Clearance
In the photo one of the surviving homes - Home movers.

And to finish the article, I would like this photo Berlin:
Berlin Reichstag 1945/2010.

Now everything is finished! Can you comment.
And for those who are not familiar with the work of Sergei Larenkova, again strongly advise you to visit his blog.

Source:

Tags

See also

New and interesting