First Belarusian private animal shelter from catching a playful name "Superkot" appeared in Minsk almost four years ago. All this time, "refuge" for the four-legged furry homeless kept afloat only thanks to the enthusiasm and indifferent several dozen people - people far from the government and any government programs. Cats, cats and kittens - a year volunteers manage to go out and find new owners almost a thousand animals. About what is living shelter in what condition it get pets and how they find a loving family, read our reportage.
35 photos and text
On the approach to the shelter becomes clear which windows belong to "The Cat's house": sitting behind the glass in black and white plump fluffy creation and, just like rebyatnya in kindergarten, staring into the distance, waiting for them to come "parents" and take home.
The room in which is the first Belarusian private animal shelter from catching, very small, something like 60-65 "squares." And even it says a volunteer with experience Vitaly managed to find with difficulty. "Suitable not only in size but also to the destination area is actually very small. And willing to donate them at a shelter for homeless animals, and even less, so every move involves great difficulties - says the young man. - Fortunately, for almost half a year of searching managed to pick up more or less comfortable room near the center of the city and at the same time hidden from the eyes of strangers. But as an independent organization we started with, filmed a small wooden house outside Moscow, then rented space on "Motovelo." Ate to the city paid more attention to the problem of stray animals and walked towards us, offering options for relatively spacious rooms at an affordable price, we would be very happy - for their "squares" pay 500 euros each month: a lot of money that could go to the treatment of animals their adaptation and public relations. "
Vitali takes us to the shelter: for unpretentious iron door in anticipation of the arrival of the next change of volunteers constantly live nearly five dozen cats. Corridor, kitchen, three small rooms and affectionate furry animals - that's all "wealth" volunteers "Superkota».
- This room is reserved for the quarantine - after picking up the animals from "Fauna" [enterprise catching "Fauna city" - approx. Ed.], send here: what if someone is sick. As a rule, life in quarantine lasts two to three weeks, during which time it becomes clear, healthy cat, or have any problems - until Vitali, gesticulating, talks about the premises and facilities in an orphanage orders to his "arm" is attached charcoal -Black young cat and literally forces the young man pat yourself.
Distracted by domestic problems, volunteer "switches" on the cat: "Recently we got a very sweet and beautiful - just like the silhouette of the Egyptian figurines».
In the "quarantine", but like the other rooms, wherever you look, there is no free space - feed, care products, filling the tray: busy every inch of usable space.
- If the animal there are any symptoms of the disease, it is sent to the treatment. We are cooperating with "Alfavet" and are very grateful to the doctors at the clinic who did not put a price tag above the clouds, and try to take us to a minimum, knowing that the organization exists on donations. The medical director Alexander Bolmatova clinic and vet Alexander Ushachev without exaggeration saved hundreds "kotodush." But it also happens that doctors from other private clinics, not hiding disgust, asked what we potter with these "blohasto." Sorry, but cooperation with the state veterinary clinic and did not work, they do not want us to see among their customers and accept payment by bank transfer - says Vitali. - But all the doctors appointments, not to spend the extra money, try to do it: Tablets ointments, drops and handling of animals after surgery ourselves.
Its way into the world of rescue cats young man began in 2008: "We arrived with the girl in" Fauna ", brought food. Once hooked, I could not get away and forget. Especially when animals euthanized simply, often whole rooms, likely to survive and find the home they did not have. I wanted to do something to help. Over time, was able to negotiate with like-minded, think everything through. Began to act slowly and came to the conclusion to create a "Superkot." Learned everything on the go. Now do help other volunteers organize shelters in different cities. Recently advised Brest, Mogilev, Pinsk guys explained how documents are processed ».
Minsk animal shelter there from catching on donations. And although the state "Superkota" the number of people, including an accountant, no one gets paid. It's more of a hobby, attribute lovers cats. Moreover, volunteers are added to the common fund and money, especially when you have to gather a decent amount for treatment of the affected animal. All funds contributed to the account of the shelter, distributed in three areas: the content of the shelter (rent, payment of "communal"), the purchase of feed and filler treatment.
- Donations are very different and do not come only from Minsk, but also from other cities. For ourselves, we do not divide the sum by importance: it does not matter a thousand or two hundred thousand people listed. In any case, it is the money that helps us to keep the shelter, animals are given a chance to find a loving home, "arrange" their lives. Very nice when Belarusians respond to the call to raise money for a specific case: change windows, buy a cell (which now stand at $ 150), or pay for an operation injured cat. It's great that there are dedicated people who all these years with us and help animals, - said Vitaly.
- Do not think that volunteers saints or anything except seals do not see - come into the conversation Marina. - I've been here three years, in ordinary life, like all our people working. I come here in the evenings. Just today I had a day off, so there was here earlier.
Regular volunteers at the shelter - those who several times a week comes on duty - 15. Some people look in "Superkot" less often. The remaining work "remotely" - help transport engaged in "PR" (parked animals through social networks and ads on known resources), bring food, fillers and all sorts of useful stuff.
- In the second room inhabited by cats that still need to be followed - continues to Vitaly. - Here, for example, the peach boy - with a broken jaw, he even inserted a metal plate. You see, "Fauna", where we take the animals are, roughly speaking, conveyor: Daily trapping the animals gather around the city. And what we do not see them on the streets, the merit of this particular company. But there are some nuances: in catching fall including lost animals or those free-range. There were even situations where we already have, after a month and a half or two people find their pets.
In general, catch - is a system that is now replaced in many countries in the sterilization program, because it is more efficient in terms of reducing the number of animals on the street and, of course, more humane. We hope that Belarus, too, will come to this. And workers 'Fauna' will be more comfortable, because among them, despite the rumors, there are people who really love animals.
In the third room, the windows of which looked at us and fluffy cats are animals that are ready for "adoption».
- Look at Bonyu! What a handsome man with a fluffy orange eyes - exclaims volunteer Olga, who in addition "leads" accounting shelter. - The fact that he is alive - truly a miracle. If you saw in what condition he was brought here ... it was something terrible: the skeleton plastered with eyes, even the doctors are surprised that he survived. Found under a bush in the park. It seems that this culling of breeders: apparently tried to sell the beautiful Persian, but could not due to a defect occlusion, that got rid of.
History sufferer Boni described in detail at the forum "Superkota" picked it up a volunteer: "So, everything in detail. Eggs flies. Maggots - small and big, thick, white (maggots). They swarmed under the matted hair and ate live miserable creature - I am not exaggerating. Smell - terrible, sickening ... We looked at this hideous nightmare, crawling on the live cat and suddenly he purred ... I do not want to die, so I do not want, please ... In general, we went to the vet. First tried to see him in his office on the table. When worms poured heaps on the table, went to the bath. Actually, everything is going on and treatment. After half an hour procedures cat was laid on the table and wrapped in absorbent diapers. And razmurchalsya, my God! Doctors themselves were surprised ».
- Once we got out of the cat, who was in a terrible state even more: snow white Dumpling was thin, like a bicycle, and all in tangles. He now lives in Germany, together with the hostess that took him from a shelter - continues to Olga. - In February, there will be three years since I'm here. Many saw the cat stories. I have two homes and most "podobrashki." By the way, my family also have a husband, mother, son, grandson. Some people believe that there are going to people with unsettled personal destiny. So, we are all fine, just by virtue of the domestic demand can not be on the sidelines.
- This Barsik former housecat: mistress died and the heirs do not need it appeared. Were put on the "Fauna". Imagine pet who lived five years in the family, and have thrown out as unnecessary pillow. We mainly animals from catching, but if you knew how much to "Fauna" cats, which people passed. The reasons are very different: the move, her grandson allergy, whatever. But it is domestic cats in a new environment and often die: not eating, not drinking, depression, and then dies of a broken heart. People are very irresponsible for this are, in my opinion, it's like a family member to take and pass on euthanasia. My head does not fit: you're living with this beast for so many years, how do you hand rose? - Outraged Olga.
- Or, sometimes, people call and say we take away the cat. Explains that working with animals from catching, which was taken from the street officers "Fauna". And in response to hear, but, well, then I put it down to the "Fauna", and from there you have it collect. But not the fact that we have room for another cat - complements Vitali.
It seems that the character and habits of their wards volunteers know by heart: A drop - alpha cat, who has pets and nelyubimchiki; Vitas - the owner of a rare surprisingly sharp voice; Vadik, whose name is often Adik for what, running, carries all; Sonya always sad and Cap - Grey-bellied big cat who eats well, "full-bodied" joke shelter workers.
Olga says that even through the shelter are very expensive pedigree cats: lived here Russian Blue, Maine Coon, some sphinxes, Oriental, two Neva Masquerade, Siberian cats. But, fortunately, these animals are taken quickly.
- Most people when choosing a cat guided by appearance. Look at the site at all and decide what they want, for example, red or black. If I had to choose, it drew attention to the character: someone wants affectionate cat sitting room, someone, on the contrary, nenadoedlivogo and more bright. And the appearance of undefined. It happens that come with one, but he does not want to go hiding. At the same moment comes another cat and simply falls on his neck, and take it.
When we give the cat, record all passport data masters and contact phone number. Naturally, we do not get bored, but when there is no connection for a long time, please call. Still, most people will unsubscribe to the site - photos are placed, something to tell. As a general rule, who comes here and sees with his own eyes the scale of the problem, then participates in the life of a shelter. Because it is clear that keeping animals should not cheap - says Olga.
What contributions do not go "left", namely the needs of nearly five dozen cats, everyone can watch in person - at the shelter installed surveillance cameras. Cat's life and daily work of volunteers is visible at a glance: the picture is broadcast in online at the shelter. To avoid attacks very picky citizens in the rooms held a special ventilation system to get rid of peculiar smell.
But even more than the question of the content of homeless animals, volunteers and simply indifferent Minskers worried activities recently announced in the capital knacker. Severed tails and front paws, eyes and broken strut sides - in different areas of the city "maniac" mocks the street cats. Right now lives in a shelter pet, suffered at the hands of a sadist - an animal without a tail and with a barely healed stab wound is still trying to keep out of people's eyes and waits their appearance in the most secluded corners.
- And no one in the police did not apply, and if they will find a knacker, the responsibility for such crimes is minimal, well, if one base will. So moral monsters go unpunished, but it's not possible that they could be dangerous for people, especially children, - says Vitali.
Recently Belarusian volunteers managed to establish contact with the animal lovers from Ukraine and Russia - part of our homeless cats go "abroad", where they find new owners. "We want to deny rumors that these animals are on the fur, meat, experiences - it's all nonsense, who was born in someone's sick imagination. Each pet is monitored by us, and we are very grateful sympathetic colleagues. Just for them to practice, we euthanasia of animals - savagery, greetings from the '90s - says a young man. - As for our country, then we will be very glad to see among the volunteers' Superkota "new people who join in the work and will help abandoned animals».