Evictions (10 photos)

The mortgage crisis that began in the United States since mid-2007, has turned into an economic and developed into a record decline in the index on the main stock exchanges and billions in losses for big banks. In the III quarter of 2009, 937, 840 thousand. Owners 'mortgage' homes in the US have received notices from creditors concerning possible or impending seizure of property on account of debts. Warning received 136 each homeowner, which is the highest quarterly since 2005. Increasing the number of Americans who do not pay on time interest on loans, experts associated with high levels of unemployment.

Ordinary Americans from Elkhart, Indiana, tell their stories about how lost their homes and were on the street.

1. Among those who were evicted from their homes, which were disposed of by banks - Charles Funnell of Elkhart, Indiana. "I miss this house, really miss the life that I had," - she says. In this photo taken on September 25 Funnell looking at a house that called her for 18 years. After she was fired, and the last savings ran out, she lost the rights to the house in 2007. After spending 30 years in the trade of residential vans, 52-year-old Funnell now works part-time at a pizza delivery car and lives in a van with his son and daughter in the house of his son-in. Looking back, Funnell said that could take a loan from relatives, if I had confessed to their problems. She advises: "Do not be afraid to ask for help as soon as possible. Do not hesitate. " (James Cheng / msnbc.com)

2. The 42-year-old Terry Vavrek travels from his home, where lived 8 years after the declared itself bankrupt and lost the mortgage. Lost their jobs in January and received each month for unemployment benefits in the amount of $ 1,200, she quickly got into debt because she had to pay the mortgage - $ 1,400 per month. Currently Vavrek and her daughter live with a friend. She has worked at the plant, which produces cars H2 Hummers for «General Motors». She hopes to regain its place as the company decided to sell the factory to a Chinese company. "I look forward to positive news about their work, as the company has signed a contract for the sale of the plant," - she says. It would change anything, if I knew that all this would happen? "I would have made sure that I could buy back the house even without work", - she says. (James Cheng / msnbc.com)

3. Johnny Warren and Brenda Carpenter talk about their problems with the mortgage on his doorstep in Elkhart September 30th. They live in this house since 1998 and always regularly paid until they were fired from their jobs - Warren after 17 years, Carpenter - after 20. They are aided by a local non-profit organization «La Casa», which helps them to reduce the fee for the mortgage. Carpenter says that they are all the time looking for a job, but they refused because they "are not suitable for the age." Carpenter advises not to miss payments for the house. "Make sure that the mortgage is paid in the first place," - she says. (James Cheng / msnbc.com)

4. Rebecca Kristner sits outside his home in Elkhart, which lived 24 years old, and then lost. Each room living memories, she says, and "they can not pick them up." 55-year-old Kristner deprived of the right to property, fired from her job as a nurse, she left due to stress and the death of her husband. "His death has brought me a lot of emotional problems - she says. - And partly I coped with her shopping "- especially in credit. "Seek advice and help from the people, not the banks," - she says to those who have the same problem. (James Cheng / msnbc.com)

5. Roberto and Patricia Negret play with her year-old son Roberto Jr. in the backyard of their home on September 17. 38-year-old Roberto wants to leave the house, because he can not pay the mortgage. He lost his job and was unemployed 10 months, but then returned to his job, but his salary cut. "I do not earn as much as earned before," - he said. "I know I could not do with the mortgage", - he said. They will move into the apartment as soon as he decides to mortgagee the right to property. (James Cheng / msnbc.com)

6. Bert Garcia sits on the steps of his home on September 22. She lost her job a year ago, and its accounts - especially health - began to accumulate. In late October, she found herself face to face with the deprivation of the right to the house. "I lost my job and health insurance," - says 39-year-old Garcia. This double blow to her pocket led to the fact that she would have to lose the house where she lived for 5 years. Mother with three children, she paid $ 1,600, trying to ask the mortgagee to change the loan, but it never happened. Her advice: "Try to pay the mortgage in the first place. Because of one unpaid bill, you can lose everything, including your dreams. " (James Cheng / msnbc.com)

7. An aspiring singer Rowena Gutier poses for a portrait in the backyard of his home in Elkhart. Nurses lost their jobs and seeing her mortgage payment went up by 13%, she was in the hospital because of a heart attack in June. She could lose the house if you do not find a job in the near future. On weekends, she sings, however, free of charge. She hopes that someone will pay attention to her talent. "I comfort myself singing," - she says. Gutier blames his situation agent mortgage and own frivolity. "I did not realize that the whole thing in a third party, - she says the loan. - I could think of was that I landlady ... I was like a little girl at Disneyland. " (James Cheng / msnbc.com)

8. Janet Berrier stands at his home on September 23. She is ready to move out as soon as will be notified if it does not soften the terms of the mortgage. "I've already packed most of the things - she says. - In order not to waste time and have time to move out in time when it is needed. " Berrier took mortgages in 2006 and said that he considered the interest to resist. Two years later, the monthly payments have increased by $ 200, and at work, she lost her overtime pay for that good. "I can pay half of the mortgage, - she said his bank. - And they said that this is not enough. " (James Cheng / msnbc.com)

9. Terry Gonon outside his home in Elkhart, where he and his family lived for 4 years, until they were deprived of the right to property in March this year. He is a construction worker, but his working hours are not more than 10 per week. He and his wife and 9 children live in a trailer in Bristol. Gonon paid $ 20 000 mortgage that they took 30 years, but then increased by the payment of $ 400. The insurer refused to cover the house, and his lender added to the sum of the interest on the "force majeure" circumstances. 38-year-old Gonon says that he used to work with people who know and trust. "Get a pledge from a local bank - he advises. - Do not go to a broker. " (James Cheng / msnbc.com)

Tags

See also

New and interesting