Tank teachings in California in May 1942 (20 photos)

It was the last large-scale tank exercises Americans before landing in North Africa.
Patton wins the area of ​​ten thousand square miles, most of which were controlled by the Interior Ministry. She ran from the Colorado River in the east to Dizert-Center (California) in the west and from Searchlight (Nevada) in the north to Yuma (Arizona) to the south. Patton said that the area "probably the biggest and the best training ground in the United States»
The crew is preparing for the exercises

General George S. Patton is preparing to go on maneuvers

Soon the armored units began to migrate from east to west. March 21, three days after the site selection, Patton sent several officers to the desert. April 1st the troops began to leave Fort Benning trains and marching columns. Patton founded Camp Young, named in honor of Lieutenant General S. League, the first former chief of staff of the army.
George S. Patton tank near

If there was in the world that something terrible for tankers, this Camp Young, known as a "godforsaken place." In the mountains of Tunisia, on the pass Faid, which tested the strength of the American tankers, Patton, as they say, threatened them: "You guys go ahead and will to fight, damn you, or I swear I'll send you back to Camp Young ". Colonel Nye described the there the atmosphere. "All the soldiers were mostly contracted civilians - he said about twenty thousand people who were under the command of General Patton. - To develop their military spirit, he [Patton] ordered 100 buglers every evening at 22:00 to blow the signal to "extinguish fires".
George S. Patton checks helmet

This was to remind them of the old traditions of the army, to which they now also be attached. When stretching over 200 miles on the landfill signals sounded horns, they echoed the coyotes, who lived in nearby mountains. Evenings all with bated breath waiting for the beginning of the 10-hour symphony ».
George S. Patton wears a helmet

In the desert, where the heat reached 130 degrees in the sun, saving the liquid it is vitally important. Patton restricted each person a gallon of water a day, each vehicle - "rations" from one to three gallons. "Meanwhile, - Patton wrote in an article for" Kevelri Journal "- oddly enough, there were very few cases where the bay needed additional water to the radiators».
George S. Patton got into the tank

Especially I liked the general conduct exercises. On paper, the exercise looked easy. Troop contingent of tanks, tank destroyer, armored personnel carriers and other equipment in the morning served with parking. Cars were on the highway at a speed of twenty miles, then take the left unfolded and in several columns, venturing into the wilderness of Colorado. For sixteen hours column rallied and began to search for parking at night. Covered with dust, people fell to the ground.
George S. Patton tank controls

Some opened rations "C" - surprisingly tasty mix of beef or chicken with vegetables. Canned they warmed up on improvised stoves - banks with petrol which were placed in holes in the sand. Others dug trenches six feet in length and a width and a depth of two. If you would happen so that the enemy tanks attacked the parking lot, the soldiers in the trenches would remain intact if, of course, the tank tracks have not passed the trench length. The next morning, shaved, brushed my teeth and washing up - all the same daily allowance of water - the soldiers were preparing breakfast, and then prepared for verification.
Tanks are maneuvering in the desert.

How do the tankers and Patton were satisfied with the performance of the machine. "Technology rugged and reliable - stated Patton. - We receive the newest equipment. During maneuvers in the previous year, the tanks covered ten million miles - he recalled. - And on the last day, only 1, 5 percent of the park is out of order ».
Jeep down the sand dune during exercise

The main contribution here belonged to repair battalion, which is rarely needed more than three hours to repair any tank. Patton called "general physical shape of his command" particularly noteworthy. " In tyazhelyh.trudah many of his men were herded fat and build muscle. The famous wrestler "Man Mountain" Dean, who served as a sergeant in one part of Patton dropped sixty pounds, "but its dimensions were still impressive»
One of the "tank killer" who participated in the maneuvers California

Patton maintained strict discipline. At a meeting of veterans of the Camp Yang forty years after the end of World War II, Porter Williamson, then a young lieutenant, later wrote the book "Rules of Patton" where an attempt was made to apply the doctrine of the general as a method of achieving success in business, recalled that he often arranged spontaneous check the night hours. Once he turned to Williamson requested time to ask about his problems while he Patton will stand side by side, but unbeknownst to the soldier. "In what direction do you think, could pose a risk?" - Asked Williamson hour.
Tank during exercise

When he pointed to the center of the camp, Williamson, who knew that Patton hears everything, he began berating the soldier: "This is the center of our camp! The enemy - the other side. " All looked him up and said, "You did not ask me about the enemy, sir. I know where he is. You asked me where the danger may come, and I expect it from there - there is a rate of Patton. " Patton, who had heard the whole conversation, cried out: "All right, Williamson. This guy knows the matter ».
Tanks on the teachings

The training center for combat operations in the desert Patton liked to tease sometimes officers. Walter Hennessey, who served four years overseas tank driver, remembers the day when he was part of the degassing tank practiced in the case of a gas attack. "Nowhere appeared general - says Hennessy. - Jumping on the armor, he started a conversation with Sergeant Raklerom and officers, including the battalion commander, gathered around the bottom of the machine. At the end of the interview Sergeant Patton shook his hand, whispered something in his ear and dropped to the ground, and then, without saying a word, got into the car and drove away. When the sergeant got out of the tank, the officers wanted to know what to say Tsatton. Rakler revealed to them the secret of "General Patton told me this:" At the time, both get out of the tank, Sergeant, these idiots ask you, I whispered in your ear? »
Cars communications and intelligence, as well as the "tank killer" on maneuvers

It took almost half a century, but people still remembered the devilish heat. In June 1942, Hennessy wrote his mother that recorded in his tank at a temperature of 185 degrees. Instruments and equipment that were left in the sun burned the hands of those who took on them without gloves.
Tank cuts the tree on his way

The crew have rations in camp during an exercise

With entertainers coming to Indio entertain soldiers, Patton also cost quite cool. He turned to John Meshio, agents such movie stars as Fred Astaire Ginger Rogers, James Stewart, Henry Fonda and John. Kelly to help in the organization of cultural activities for military personnel living in isolation. Somehow Meshio arrived in Indio with performance. "And what do you think? - Says the agent. - That son of a bitch made us do what his soldiers did - even the ladies. " Men he rites in the army field form and ordered to crawl under barbed wire overflying the whistling above their heads bullets. Patton forced to dress up in a field form and women drove their jeep on bumpy roads and dusty virgin. All this was done to show entertainer who worked on the show for free, it has to pass through the military.
General George S. Patton watched the exercises

Tags

See also

New and interesting