Vehicles for aluminum fuel

In this picture, the car is used as fuel aluminum.

This car was one of the most interesting exhibits energy-saving technologies ENES-2013 .

This is the usual American electric golfkar EZ-GO Shuttle with a very unusual source of electricity, developed at the Joint Institute for High Temperatures, Russian Academy of Sciences.

The electrochemical generator is used as fuel here are aluminum plates.

44 plates weighing about 4 pounds loaded into special cassettes.

When the generator runs the pump through the tape with aluminum fins alkali NaOH (http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Гидроксид_натрия).

The battery has a capacity of 37 kWh and allows to drive 380 kilometers in urban cycle mode or 1400 km at a constant speed of 40 km / h.

The battery can not provide very high currents, so it is used for charging LiIon-batteries from which the engine is running.

Besides electricity generator produces heat, which can be used for heating the interior.

After depletion of aluminum plates must be replaced and the electrolyte in the battery. Most interestingly, from the spent electrolyte can recover 90% of aluminum, with the recovery process similar to the production of aluminum from ore.

The cost of aluminum is now $ 2.5-4 per kilogram. Even if you do not renew the aluminum from the electrolyte, the cost of fuel is obtained 3-4 rubles per kilometer in the urban cycle, which is comparable to gasoline.

At the booth gave me a book about this technology, which procured for Medvedev, who visited the exhibition on the day before me and unfortunately does not come down to stand with electric vehicles.

I think the technology is very interesting. Who knows, maybe in ten or twenty years the whole world will be driving cars, working on aluminum.

p.s. Escape to Google Mobile Day, so the comments I can only respond in the evening.

Source: habrahabr.ru/post/204800/

Tags

See also

New and interesting