Iris Apfel

This year, the cosmetics brand MAC chose his muse no more, no less, and one of the most extravagant lady in the fashion world, which last year said no more, no less, and its 90-year anniversary. What is this bird? So it begs the question. The answer to that would sound something like this: «Rare Bird of Fashion», or Iris Apfel, which had no qualms, said the whole world: I - the world's oldest teenager. And all these American style icon too perfect for menya.Hotya style icon called her for a long time and constantly, and with that she has never accomplish anything, because the unique style is either there or not, and so brinkmanship of various weaves and fleeting stylistic transitions is true art, which Iris Apfel speaks perfect. And by whom it will seem to you: eccentric old woman with round glasses, the "old teenager" or "rare bird" of fashion with bright plumage, is not important, a good deal of admiration for you to get it anyway.

Iris Apfel was born in a family of Russian immigrants in the first day of 1923. This happened in Queens on Long Island. In the courtyard of the Great Depression. But Iris's father, who was a businessman, it is a little touched. He supplied items of glass and mirrors for interior designers. And Iris by his heart was admitted to New York University to study art history. Besides, she still had time to go to art school at the University of Wisconsin.

Career Iris started with rabotaly in the journal Women's Wear Daily, and later she met and began to collaborate with Eleanor Johnson, an interior designer. And after some time already with her husband Carl Apfel, she founded her own textile company Old World Weavers, which as a result has become one the most prestigious and popular in the world. Apfel company specialized in the production replicas of antique fabrics.
By the way, this company still exists today, only this time with other owners - in 1992, the couple sold their company, but Iris is still its consultant.

Incredible Iris is one of the most viable and inimitable personalities in the fashion world. It has more than fifty years of collecting antique textiles and jewelry, is the muse of the set designers and inexhaustible enthusiasm constantly styling their original ideas.
Apfel with amazing skill mixes different styles. Its fantastic eclecticism often unites Haute Couture high fashion with street fashion and a variety of finds from flea markets loved it. Iris does not cause the problem to combine textiles 19th century fashion trends, for example, Dolce & Gabbana or Oskara de la Renta.
With an amazing observation and exquisite taste, she boldly combines textures, colors and patterns, not paying too much attention to their origin, background and aesthetic period.

The most important role in the life of irrepressible "teenager" played a journey. Iris has traveled almost the whole world, and to work, and just for pleasure. It was under the influence of completely different cultures due to its eclectic style was formed.
More than half of his collection of clothes and accessories she has brought from his travels.

Iris got married in 1948 for Carl Apfel, and with her husband they were together for more than 60 years. But here's a couple of kids did not start. It does everything possible. I wanted a career and would like to travel. - It explains Iris, but who knows ...

In 2005 the Museum "Metropolitan" held a grand landmark event - the opening of the exhibition, together Iris Apfel entitled «Rare Bird of Fashion: The Irreverent Iris Apfel» (rare bird fashion: irreverent Iris Apfel).
The very inspecting the exposure Apfel noticed: It's - no fashion show. It's just a plaque on my dressing room! I always thought that in order for you to be found in "Underground" to die. Total time it was presented 32 outfits and 300 accessories.
Passionate love for accessories Iris originated in childhood. Her mother, being inventive and sophisticated fashionista, not once told his daughter that, even with one dress, you can create decorations using two dozen images.

This stunning fashion exhibition was visited by a huge number of people, among whom were many celebrities. For example, Lindsay Lohan has demanded for a separate tour, after examining the selected five orders and told to convey to Mrs. Apfel, she wants to buy them. A little later even asked not agree whether the iris become her personal stylist. Naturally, Mrs. Apfel refused. Lindsay Lohan Why would she, when she has many minds and hearts, involved in the fashion world.

Iris in all his interviews like to stress that it will never set itself the goal to assemble a collection of clothing for the museum as well as the purchase of clothes and accessories for her - it's more hunting, enthusiasm and passion. I like to crawl around and dig. Not a lot of fun just to sit in the shop and try on things offered stylists and consultants. I like the process of finding and "assembly" clothing. It's fun.

The most puzzling paradox misiss Apfel is that even the most complex and rich in its ensemble seems to be extremely harmonious and stylish. After his exhibition at The Metropolitan Museum of Art Iris he said that it was struck most of all I got a stack pisem.Lyudi wrote that my exhibition inspired and liberated them, and even change their lives. These responses have exceeded all my expectations. Although the style Apfel is only her, she heard from many women leaving the exhibition, the first time that they so strongly inspired to some bold changes in its appearance.

So two years later, Iris produces the same book about himself and his collection - «Rare Bird of Fashion: The Irreverent Iris Apfel», in order to help women who want to, but do not dare to open up, let the fashion world into your world to find your own style and be themselves, adorning themselves with their own individual means of fashion.

Mrs. Apfel always said that the best gift of fate finds his sense of humor and endless curiosity. After all, these two qualities gave her the opportunity to purchase unique jewelry and clothes that fill numerous cupboards in her house. One of her friends even once said: Iris opened the closet, it's like opening a box with a surprise. The only difference is that instead of a clown out of it "pops", for example, skirt Lanvin.Pravda last autumn it known through the web shop nevertheless launched the sale of two of its legendary collection of jewelry, which include such unique gizmos, as bracelets and necklaces made of ivory, massive amber jewelery, items inlaid with precious stones and rock crystal and others.
All these things were collected by me in 90 years of life. The cost of them to lay down the bank. I part with them, not only for sentimental reasons, I really did not have enough space! - As always, in his inimitable style jokes Iris Apfel.

Tags

See also

New and interesting