The real cause of the death of "Titanic" and the courage of musicians

On Monday, 30 June 1997, at 16:30 local time, Chris Patten, while the Governor of Hong Kong, the Government has left the building and headed for the royal yacht "Britannia".

British flag lowered in the presence of Prince Charles and Prime Minister Tony Blair. The period of colonial rule in Hong Kong ended. Event for the UK historical, so everyone remembers Chris Patten and his role. Was there Patten wife, Louise.

Louise brought her granddaughter Commander Charles Lightoller. He served as second mate on a cruise ship "Titanic" and, interestingly, was still alive. Lightoller knew all the details of the famous tragedy, but all his life kept them secret. For almost a century the family did not disclose the fact that before his death, told the famous grandfather.

Charles Lightoller said that the tragedy of the Titanic were two main reasons. First - there were a ship under steam engines, but had two masts and some sails, just in case. Accordingly, there were two control systems for propeller and sail.

Steering commands in these two systems were diametrically opposed. For one "left rudder!" Meant turn the wheel to the left, to the other - to the right.

On watch was a senior helmsman Robert Hichchinz, he learned the profession of sailing ships. First assistant William Murdoch remarked on the port side and a large iceberg commanded - "right rudder!". Hichchins, in a panic, not realizing, turned, as taught once.

As a result, the "Titanic" went straight to the icy mountain. Were lost precious minutes, the inertia of the "Titanic" was unable to repay, the ship received a side impact on a tangent.

There would command "Stop the car!" Inspect the damage, to give a signal of distress. But on board was the chief of the shipping company "White Star", Bruce Izmey to stop his ship would mean loss of reputation. "Titanic" was bruising on the transatlantic record.

Bruce Izmey persuaded Captain Edward Smith did not slow down the speed. The ship is still in full swing. Counter-pressure tank shell filled with water, and when the ship began to list, it was too late.

The rest we know - "Titanic" went to the bottom, killing fifteen hundred passengers and crew. I'm sorry everyone, especially the musicians of the orchestra of the ship, which continued to play to the public not to panic.

Recently in the newspaper "The Times" was a small article with a photo of a violin. She belonged to Wallace Hartley, violinist and concertmaster of "Titanic". According to legend, when it became clear that the ship is sinking, Hartley played the hymn Nearer My God to Thee - «Nearer, My God, to Thee».

Hartley's body was raised from the sea two weeks later, the newspaper wrote that "the victim was in full costume, violin in its case firmly fastened to the body».

The remains were brought to England aboard the "Arabica", on the docks in Liverpool met the father of Wallace, Albion. May 18, 1912 The funeral took place, attended by over a thousand people lined the procession on the road more than 40 thousand.

This violin found recently, more than a century after these events, in the attic of a house in North Yorkshire. in 1912, after the funeral tool Wallace returned to the bride, as she presented her to the groom before the flight. On podgrifke or Tailpiece, sticker still left with the words: "Mary Wallace from the day of our engagement».

The genuineness of the instrument is confirmed after two years of tests and laboratory samples.

Witnesses sinking of the Titanic reported that at the last moment when the ship went under the water, and ice water all overwhelmed, Wallace Hartley exclaimed: «Gentlemen, I bid you farewell!» - «Gentlemen, I bid you farewell!»

Newspapers wrote: "the role played by the ship's orchestra in the last terrible moments will go down in the annals of heroism at sea, as a noble act».

Source Your text to link ...

Tags

See also

New and interesting