The most terrible secret of Antarctica

English polar explorer Robert Scott tried first to reach the South Pole, but he was unlucky; it was ahead of Norwegian Roald Amundsen. Scott found a cherished point pennant left opponent in just a week before. Englishman decided to return back without repeating the route Amundsen - went through the region of the magnetic pole and died ...

Half a century later, the Soviet expedition, founded in Antarctica station "Peace", has sent a group of six researchers in the interior of the continent to reach the South Magnetic Pole. Returned only two. Officially, the cause of the tragedy were brutal storm, the strongest frosts and engine failure at the rover.

Another group of researchers who went to the South magnetic pole has become an American. It was in 1962. Americans have taken into account the sad experience of Soviet colleagues - have the most perfect equipment, participated in the expedition of 17 people on three all-terrain vehicles with them to maintain a constant radio contact.

In this expedition, no one was killed. But people are back on the same jeep. All of them were on the verge of insanity. Researchers immediately evacuated the home, but what happened in the campaign, known until now very little.

After the Americans to the South magnetic pole went Soviet researchers. One of the participants of this campaign Yuri E. Korshunov until recently lived in St. Petersburg. One reporter was able to "talk" about the incident it is the long-standing campaign. The reporter wrote a story polar, but to publish it and failed. Korshunov meanwhile died.

And recently, the story of Yuri Efremovich abounding incredible details appeared in the American press. Give it translated to English.

"There was a polar day - told Korshunov - and almost all the time of our journey was beautiful weather. The thermometer showed only minus thirty degrees Celsius, there was no wind - to Antarctica is a rarity. We passed the route for three weeks, without losing a minute to repair the machine. The first trouble came when we pitched camp in the main point, conform to all of our measurements, the South magnetic pole. Everyone was exhausted, so went to bed early, but could not sleep. Feeling a vague anxiety, I got up and walked out of the tent and three hundred meters from our all-terrain vehicle ... saw a glowing ball! He jumped up and down like a football, but its dimensions were a hundred times more. I cried, and all ran outside. Bounce the ball stopped and slowly rolled to us on the move and changing the shape of turning into some semblance of sausage. And changed color - darker and in front of the "sausage" began to appear terrible face without eyes, but with an opening like a mouth. Snow under the "sausage" hissed as if it was red-hot. Jaws move, and it seemed to me that the "sausage" that says something.

Photographer Alexander Gorodetsky expedition went ahead with his camera, but the senior group Skobelev Andrew shouted that he stood on the site! But Sasha kept going by clicking the shutter. And this thing ... It instantly changed shape again - stretched a narrow strip, and Sasha came around a glowing halo around his head like a saint. I remember how he screamed and dropped the machine ...

At this point, two shots rang out - shot Skobelev and standing on my right our doctor Roma Scrubs ... It seemed to me that the shot is not explosive bullets and bombs - this was the sound. Glowing tape swelled in all directions sprayed sparks and some short zipper, and Sasha appeared as if covered with fire.

I rushed over to Sasha. He was lying face down and was dead ...! Neck, hands and, as it turned out, the whole back like charred, polar special suit in tatters.

We tried to contact the radio station with our "Peace", but it did not work out, the air was going on something unimaginable - a continuous whistling and roaring. I never had to meet a wild magnetic storm! It lasted all of three days we spent at the pole.

The camera was melted, as if from a direct lightning strike. Snow and ice - where "crawled" tape - evaporated, forming a groove depth of two feet and a width of two meters.

We buried Sasha on the pole.

Two days later died bush and Borisov, then - Andrew Skobelev. First it was the same ... there was one ball - right on Sasha's hill, and a minute later - two more. They appeared as if compacted from the air at an altitude of about a hundred meters, slowly lower, povisel above the ground and began to move for some complex trajectories, approaching us. Andrew Skobelev shot, and I measured the electromagnetic and spectral characteristics - devices installed in advance about a hundred meters from the car. Borisov bushes and stood side by side with carbines at the ready. They started shooting as soon it seemed that the balls are drawn, turning into "sausages".

When we recovered from the shock, the ball was gone, and the air smelled of ozone - though after a severe thunderstorm. A bush with Borisov lay in the snow. We immediately rushed to him, I think, you can still do something to help. Then he noticed the Skobeleva, he pressed his hands to his eyes, the camera lying on the ice five meters, he was alive, but did not remember and did not see anything. ... He is now scared to remember ... baby. Went, sorry for themselves. Did not want to chew - just drank, spilling the liquid around. Perhaps it had to be fed from the nipples, but, you know, the nipple we did not have, Shrub and Borisov we could not even bury - had not the strength. Like one - to get away as quickly as possible. And all the time Skobelev whimpering and drooling ... On the way back he died. The Peace doctors diagnosed his heart failure and signs of frostbite, but not very strong - at least not deadly. In the end we decided to tell the truth - too weighed what happened, to my surprise, we believe. But there was no conclusive evidence. Poison the new expedition to the North Pole there was no way - do not let any research program or lack of necessary equipment. As I understand it, the same as us, happened in 1962 with the Americans, now you understand why no one there does not seek? Someday, maybe there will again. But do not think it will happen soon - too reliable protection is required. This idea is worth millions of dollars. Even the Americans are unlikely so rich - they are in fact now, as you know, scaling down their Antarctic stations. The main interest today - the so-called ozone hole. If it were not for the need to monitor her, hardly there at all would now people.

Tags

See also

New and interesting