What a modern gentleman cannot do next to a lady

In the Middle Ages, the word gentleman meant an untitled small-place nobleman. Then, in the Victorian era, educated men with impeccable manners were called this. A Gentleman's Guide to Etiquette (1875) by Cecil B. Hartley But time passes, and life makes its own adjustments. So what should be a well-educated man of the XXI century?

Should he like an ex on Instragram, can he drink beer at a party where everyone drinks champagne, and is he allowed to text while kissing a lady? "Site" I tried to answer these difficult questions.

Can you ask a man how much he earns? Some say that the amount of salary should be discussed only in two cases: in conversation with the employer and during interrogation. Others say there is nothing to be ashamed of.

In any case, it is permissible to ask about income only those with whom a fairly close relationship has developed. But even here it is better to be safe, for example: "If it is not a secret, how much do you get?" ?

If the interlocutor answers evasively ("I do not complain"), it is better not to insist on specifics. After all, it is likely that the subject of conversation will put a person in an awkward position and cause negative emotions.

Is it appropriate to drink beer at a corporate party where everyone drinks champagne? The main thing you should not do at any party is to be a bore and show your exclusivity, telling everyone that you only drink beer.

In general, a gentleman will drink what is presented in the menu of treats. Ordering something else is a bad tone. But if you know your body, and the drink of the day it is not in harmony, without attracting much attention, pour in a glass of champagne the same beer.

The main thing is to stay sociable and friendly. And on a drunken head it is very easy to do something for which it will be painfully ashamed.

Can I like my ex-girlfriends? There is probably no definitive answer. On the one hand, why not, if you broke up, you did not become enemies. On the other hand, you should always do as you would like to be treated. Would you like it if your lady started liking her ex?

There's another nuance. It has recently been considered indecent to like very old publications. After all, when a person has viewed all your posts for 5 years and noted even those about which you have long forgotten, willy-nilly there is a feeling of excessively intrusive attention.

Can a man help a woman carry her purse? Absolutely not! Even Her Majesty the Queen carries her handbag herself. And less sophisticated people, and even more so.

GettyImages Of course, if the purse is not 5 kilograms of potatoes. But that's another story altogether.

Does a gentleman report breaking up with a girl by text? It is believed that psychologically girls worse than men are prepared for rejection. So the gentleman will take the blame. She is beautiful and smart, and he, as usual, is not worth it.

A man should do this by looking into his eyes. Have the courage to set up a meeting and explain everything calmly. After all, a person who was not indifferent to you until recently definitely deserves direct and unambiguous answers. And everything, except a personal meeting, will show only cowardice and lack of respect.

Should I always be completely truthful? How to answer the question: “Do I need these jeans?” Should I be sloppy to sweeten a bitter pill? A gentleman will be able to feel a fine line.

A close person needs to be told the truth. A lady can be a little embellished. And tell someone you don't know anything about fashion.

Do I have to say hello to my colleagues? Initially, this custom made it possible to know that the person met did not hide a knife in the sleeve. If the relationship with colleagues is friendly, then I think you can not check. Especially when the office of 100 people and handshakes can take half an hour. A verbal greeting and a nod of the head will suffice.

How do you respond to a gift you don’t like? Any gift deserves gratitude. And if you find it hard to thank for something you will never use, thank you for your attention. In order not to give yourself the expression, you can not reveal the gift, etiquette does not require this.

A good way to shift your attention is to ask a counter question. For example, how to use a gift and whether the donor has such a thing. So you will kill two birds with one stone: show interest in a person and avoid an awkward situation.

Should a gentleman post selfies on Instagram? It is believed that self-portraits are the prerogative of men and women who somehow earn their appearance. Actors, models, bloggers and journalists.

If you are not one of the latter, it is better to lay out cats. Furious pets are good because everyone likes them. Their photos will not harm you or your loved ones.

In conclusion, we say that a gentleman makes a man the ability to be restrained, polite, respect others, show favor to people. And even if you don’t know all the rules of etiquette, behave with others as you would like to be treated.

Photo in article and preview.

Tags

See also

New and interesting