Scientists at Harvard have cultivated insulinovyrabatyvayuschie cells on an industrial scale

Cure diabetes first type may be on the way thanks to the open scientists from Harvard University, a way to grow insulin-producing cells from stem cells in the quantities needed for transplantation into the human pancreas.

Two weeks after transplanting later: beta cells from human stem cells form islet clusters and produce insulin, healing of experimental mice i>

This is the result of work dvadtsatitrёhletney Harvard Professor Douglas Melton, who was looking for a cure since his son Sam was diagnosed диабет first type .

Derived from stem cells бета-клетки, producing insulin, are now being tested in animals, including primates. According to the professor, they still produce insulin several months after transplantation.

Illustration of the journal Cell i>

Diabetes first type - autoimmune disease in which the beta cells of the pancreas to produce stopped regulating blood glucose hormone insulin. Increasing the level of glucose in the blood causes great harm to the body's organs. If the transplantation of cells by the method of Melton is working, it could save millions of people from the need for daily insulin injections and conjugate with that risk < / a>. "We are now one step away from preclinical finish & quot ;, - says Professor Melton. Asked about the reaction of his son, he said: "I think, like all children, he suggests that if the father said that he would do it - he will do it».

Douglas Melton i>

The first type of diabetes affects only about 10% of patients with diabetes, but it is the most rasprostarnёnny type of diabetes among children.

In the , Chris Manson, professor Univesitetskogo College London, called the discovery may be a key medical breakthroughs, "If confirmed scalable technology and clinical trials, and the production, it will change the rules of the game in the treatment dibeta like antibiotics at the time - in the fight against bacterial infections ».

Professor at New York University Elaine Fuchs Rokfellervoskogo described it as PTFE coating "is the most important achievements in the field of stem cells to date. For decades, scientists have sought to produce pancreatic beta cells suitable for transplantation and the subsequent development of insulin. "

Article on the development of .

[]

Source:

Tags

See also

New and interesting