For the protection of airports in the Netherlands have created a robotic birds

I remember I was very impressed reading in adolescence SF story by Robert Sheckley "Bird Watcher." Robot bird described there seemed very distant future, impracticable in our time of the project. As time passed, and technology have brought the very future and make it real.

Recently the Dutch company introduced two models of birds robots. However, these robots are not able to send an electrical charge in a human or animal, but they were created for a different purpose. Namely - the protection of airports and air transport of birds, annoying civil aviation.

According to statistics, about once a day somewhere in the world airliner must make an emergency landing due to noise in the form of birds. Sometimes birds damage aircraft parts, sometimes - just do not give a fly, because of schooling collective birds. As far as I remember, even one of the shuttle launches "Shuttle" (or launch other spacecraft) failed due to the fact that the woodpeckers damaged heat shield. In general, birds cause quite significant financial damage to airlines, in addition, it can cause accidents with fatalities (though the accident due to the fault of birds are very rare).

Scaring on airfields raise alarm, stuffed animals, employ special workers. But that helps a little.

As for the project of the Dutch company, was presented two birds robot, one model - a copy of the falcon, the other - a copy of an eagle (to scare away larger birds). Dimensions "Falcon" - 58 cm in length and 120 cm wingspan. Dimensions "eagle" - twice. The body is printed on a 3D printer, used fiberglass for reinforcement.

Control this robot operators. In the future we plan to make bird-autonomous robots that man was minimally involved in the project. After the start of the test recorded 75% reduction in the number of birds at the airport where the tests were conducted. And even those birds that came back, looked worried for a long time, these birds went to spy out the falcon / eagle in the sky.

In general, the guard-bird has gone to work, so to speak. Let's wait for the model with an electric discharger or a laser gun?

// player.vimeo.com/video/94332100 video>

Via dailymail

Source: habrahabr.ru/post/238859/

Tags

See also

New and interesting