History bet Spielberg-Lucas

Steven Spielberg was able to earn 2, 5% of the profits from the rental of the famous "Star Wars" without participating in their shooting and even developing scenarios. And even he did not create the costumes, make-up artist and did not act. Spielberg just argued with the creator of the legendary film, George Lucas, claiming that "Star Wars" will be a huge success, in that they are created, by the way, do not believe it.

In the mid-1970s, science fiction movies were not very popular.

One of the best paintings of this genre at the time was "2001: A Space Odyssey" in 1968, however, and she earned while at the box office only 56 million. Dollars. Therefore, when a young director named George Lucas was trying to sell a script called "Star Wars", based on cosmic comics. Not so many studios were willing to agree to shoot his film.

However, the difficulties did not stop Lucas. Brooked no trouble finding sponsors Lucas visited his friend Steven Spielberg in Alabama.

At this time, Steven Spielberg was on the wave of success and just made a film in 1977 "Close Encounters of the Third Kind».

Lucas at that time was not at ease and spent a couple of days on set.

After a few days, spending on the film Lucas realized that Spielberg movie "Close Encounters" will be much more successful than his "Star Wars».

Spielberg later said in an interview, "Lucas said - Oh my God, your movie will be much more successful than my" Star Wars "! This will be the biggest hit of all time. I have a bet for you! Let's exchange the glasses! I'll give you 2, 5% of the profits of "Star Wars," if you give me 2, 5% of the rental of your film "Close Encounters". Steven Spielberg is a little thought and agreed on a risky bet.

"Close Encounters of the Third Kind" is really a hit, earning 303 million. Dollars at the box office. However, the film "Star Wars" will be one of the biggest box office hits of all time.

According to Spielberg, Lucas sends him money from betting and to this day. Gamble in Spielberg bet paid off.

Released May 25, 1977, with a budget of 11 million. Dollars, the film "Star Wars", later renamed "Star Wars. Episode IV: A New Hope "- earned 775 million US dollars. Adjusted for inflation, the film brought the creators of 1, 48 billion. Dollars, making it the second biggest box office hits of all time.
According to rough estimates, so Steven Spielberg earned almost US $ 40 million, though he is not involved in the creation of the film.

Hence

Tags

See also

New and interesting