Most of us have family albums, photo archives, depicting the memorable events of our lives. The family of the ousted Libyan leader - is no exception. Photographer publication «The New York Times» Tyler Hicks hit the residence of Muammar Gaddafi in the capital quarter of Bab al-Azizia immediately after it took over the rebel forces. When they reached the residence, strongly affected by NATO air strikes, Hicks noted marauder who endured the building things. Among the things Hicks noticed unusual albums. Photographer wondered where they found the robber. He pointed to the basement of the building. On your own risk Hicks made his way to the basement. At this time of the rooms we could hear the cries of the rebels, destroying everything that came his arm.
The walls in the basement there were shelves on which were video, photo albums, awards, folders with documents. Hicks began to look at the files. Among the hundreds of photos that Gaddafi was captured with the leaders of many countries, there are also photos from the family archives.
After the overthrow of the Iraqi dictator in Baghdad, looters have destroyed valuable archives. They have not got to the historians. Realizing that the fate of the documents from the residence of Gaddafi will meet the same fate, Hicks tried to save anything. Back at the hotel, and examining the pictures of his head did not go Gaddafi family photos. Who are these people around the colonel and captured in the photographs? Hicks began questioning local residents, but they could not name many people around the colonel in the photos.
Here is a selection of photos that were saved Tyler Hicks.
1. Colonel Gaddafi with his second wife Safiey Farkas in the 70s.
Head of the family - Muammar Gaddafi - 69 years. In 1969, Gaddafi overthrew King Idris and proclaimed the establishment of the "regime of the masses" - the Great Socialist People's Libyan Arab Jamahiriya. He has been in power 42 years old, until August 22 the rebels have not announced the end of his regime. At the moment, presumably hiding in Libya.
2. Colonel Muammar al-Gaddafi, son Seif al-Islam (left), his wife Safia Farkash (right) and two unidentified members of the family.
Gaddafi and Farkas were married in 1971. The rulers of Libya, it was a second marriage, in which seven children were born. Some media claimed that Libya Safia Farkash ran in May in Tunis, although the Tunisian Interior Ministry refuted the information. On Monday, the Algerian authorities have reported that Safia Gaddafi and three children crossed the border with Libya and hiding in Algeria.
3. Colonel Muammar Gaddafi, his son Hannibal Gaddafi (until recently led the company to export crude oil), his wife Safia Farkash (center) and unidentified members of the family.
35-year-old Hannibal Gaddafi - the first formation of the Navy. In 2007 he received an MBA from the Copenhagen Business School, after which he was appointed advisor to the General National Maritime Transport Company. Person involved in several scandals. In 2008, he was arrested in Switzerland for assaulting two employees of the Geneva hotel, which has led to a diplomatic crisis between the two countries.
4. From left to right: the second President of Tunisia Zine El Abidine Ben Ali, the King of Morocco, Hassan II, President of Mauritania Maaouya Ould Sid'Ahmed Taya, Algerian President Chadli Bendjedid and Colonel Muammar Gaddafi. The photo was taken in the house of Colonel.
5. The son of Colonel Seif al-Islam and his wife Safia Farkash.
39 year-old eldest son by his second wife was considered a successor to Gaddafi as leader of the country. He graduated from the University in Tripoli, received an MBA in Vienna, in 2008 received his doctorate at the London School of Economics (was stripped of it after the start of the uprising). He has a reputation for Playboy. In 1997 he founded the charity program which contributed to the rapprochement of Libya and the EU. He negotiated the normalization of relations with the US and Britain. In 2008, he said that will no longer interfere in the affairs of state, and called for further reforms. Since the beginning of the uprising took the side of his father, he defended the regime in numerous interviews by the Western media. August 22 rebels said they took him prisoner, but on the night of August 23, he appeared before the Western journalists at Rixos in Tripoli.
6. A photograph taken at the house the Colonel Muammar Gaddafi, his wife Safia Farkash and unidentified members of the family.
7. The second wife Safia Farkash colonel with an unidentified child.
According to the MFA of Algeria, the three closest relatives Muammar Gaddafi are now in the country. Among clicked the Libyan-Algerian border Gaddafi's wife Safia, sons Mohammed and Hannibal and daughter Aisha. Gaddafi himself, who, according to the assurances of its representative Musa Ibrahim, is in Libya, it is hoped to close the remaining next of kin: deposed leader Jamahiriya have a lot of them.
8. Seif al-Islam (left) and an unidentified girl.
9. The daughter of Colonel Aisha, the wife Safia Farkash and son Seif al-Isla.
35-year-old Aisha - the only daughter of Gaddafi. A lawyer by training. She worked in the defense team of Saddam Hussein, it has been a Goodwill Ambassador for the United Nations. Since the beginning of the uprising an international organization deprived her of the title. In June, she filed a lawsuit against NATO, accusing the alliance of war crimes.
10. CPSU General Secretary Leonid Brezhnev and Colonel Muammar Gaddafi.
11. Colonel Muammar Gaddafi and Cuban leader Fidel Castro.
12. Photo Colonel Muammar Gaddafi made his home in Tripoli.
13. Colonel Muammar Gaddafi and unidentified members of the family.
14. Muammar Gaddafi with the former Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak.
15. Colonel Muammar Gaddafi (left) and Gamal Abdel Nasser - the second president of Egypt (1956-1970).
16. Colonel Muammar Gaddafi with an unidentified baby, perhaps with his son.
17. The son of Colonel Seif al-Islam. The photo was taken near the house of Muammar Gaddafi in Tripoli