Shabrovsky talc quarry

Writes Victor Borisov:

Old lens - the first talc quarry Shabrovskogo talc deposit in the Sverdlovsk region. Shabrovskoe talc-magnesite deposit is considered to be one of the largest not only in the Urals, but also in Russia. Mine and factory are located 27 km south of the city of Yekaterinburg. Artisanal mining of talc from the field started in the XIX century, and to use mechanized equipment began in 1931.

2. The depth of the "old lenses" - about 100 meters, width - 250, height - 400. He dug in a monolithic block of talc.

3. Especially impressive smooth, stepped walls, which are somewhat similar to the Egyptian pyramids. Step height of about 25 centimeters, the width - not more than 15 centimeters.

4. Talc is valuable in that it consists of magnesite, which melts at a temperature above 1600 degrees, and at the same time is easily sawed. Talc is used for the manufacture of ceramics, paint, paper, construction materials, plastics, perfumes and cosmetics.

5. At high altitude, above the quarry, stretched cableway, transported by her talc bricks to the processing plant.

6. At the bottom of the quarry, are steep wooden stairs. This is the only version of the descent down the road at the bottom of the pit there.

7. At the bottom was built a small narrow-gauge railways. At the southern slope of the quarry there is a way out of green serpentine (used as decorative materials).

8. The staircase to the top.

9. Once the walls of the quarry have been violated by groundwater, and beautiful waterfalls are formed.

10. There remained the old equipment: electric motors, steel circular saws, winches, trolleys and cranes.

11. In 1974, the mine was mothballed due to the invention of new technologies in production. Preservation is the constant pumping of water to the quarry has not turned me into a lake talc.

via victorprofessor

Source:

Tags

See also

New and interesting