The unique state of Sealand

October 9, died Prince Roy Bates I, head of the self-proclaimed state of Sealand (Sealand), located on an offshore platform in the North Sea off the coast of Great Britain. Silendskomu monarch, former British Major Paddy Roy Bates was 91.

Principality of Sealand - unrecognized state, proclaimed in 1967 by retired Major Roy Bates in the old naval platforms.

Physically, the territory of Sealand arose during World War II. In 1942, the Royal Navy erected at the approaches to the coast a series of platforms. One of them was Rafs Tower (Eng. Roughs Tower). During the war on platforms placed anti-aircraft guns, and there was a garrison of 200 men. After the end of hostilities, the majority of the towers were destroyed, but Rafs Tower, being outside British territorial waters, remained intact.

In 1966, Roy Bates and his friend Ronan O'Reilly chose platform Rafs Tower, the time has long abandoned for the construction of an amusement park. However, after some time, they quarreled, and Bates was the sole owner of the island. In 1967, O'Reilly tried to seize power platform, but Bates was able to repel the attack.

In 1968, the British government tried to take the platform. She was approached by patrol boats and Bates responded with warning shots into the air. Before the bloodshed is not reached, but against Major Bates as a British citizen was started the trial. September 2, 1968 Judge Essex found that it is outside the jurisdiction of the British.

General-Admiral Prince Roy Bates Sealand I and his wife, Princess Joan Bates. Sealand - a constitutional monarchy. The Constitution was adopted on September 25, 1975, consisting of a preamble and seven articles. Orders monarch issued in the form of decrees.

Old photo of Roy and Joan

Own Sealand coins

In 1977, Roy Bates withdrew, but remained Prince. In 1999 he abdicated in favor of his son. The last years of his life he lived in Bates as a pensioner in England; with his wife, they often spent time in Spain.

After the abdication of Prince Roy principality ruled by his son Michael I Bates as "Prince Regent" (in fact, too, living in the UK). After the death of his father Michael was the reigning prince of Sealand.

Tags

See also

New and interesting