Work Lichtenstein sold at Christie's for a record price

work of Roy Lichtenstein, "I see the whole room ... but there no one!» (I Can See the Whole Room! ... and There's Nobody in It!), went under the hammer for a record for the creations of the artist price of $ 43, 2 million. The painting, "I see the whole room ... but there no one!" is one of the earliest and most outstanding examples of Pop Art. Until now, it was in the collection of the legendary Emily and Burton Tremaine. In written in 1961 picture a man through the peephole invades the space that belongs to the audience, which, according to the caption to the picture, does not exist. Jobs created in the same year as the first work of the artist in the style of simulating the image of the popular comic book, titled "Look Mickey". This picture was the starting point for the artist discovered the endless possibilities of abstraction based on the principles of industrial printing. Image for his paintings Lichtenstein borrowed from the comic book by William Overgarda "Steve Roper", as the latter only learned after the work was presented at the exhibition a landmark for pop art exhibition at the Museum of the Solomon R. Guggenheim in 1963. Commenting on this fact for the magazine TIME, Overgard said that it "should feel flattered ... is not it?". Subsequently, the picture "I see the whole room ... but there is no one" has become regarded as one of the turning points in the history of pop art. The previous record for a work of Liechtenstein was established in 2010 - the painting "Oh ... Well» («Ohhh ... Alright ...») bought for 42, 6 million dollars. At the end of the evening auction Christie's «postwar and contemporary art 'revenues totaled 220, 8 million dollars. November 8 at the auction were sold works by Andy Warhol, Gerhard Richter, Cy Twombly, Willem de Kooning and others.

Tags

See also

New and interesting