Experienced gardeners told what cucumbers should be planted this year to get an enviable harvest

What types of cucumbers for growing in the open ground are the best? This question became relevant for me in 2024: a neighbor offered us a small garden for temporary use. The woman explained that she had no time to tinker in the ground, because the eldest daughter gave birth to twins and needed her help. And the hostess did not want the land to be empty and overgrown with weeds. My new grandmother even gave me tomato seeds and sweet peppers from personal supplies. She claimed that they had never failed. A neighbor advised to change the seeds of cucumbers because she was disappointed in last year’s harvest.

I did not plant cucumbers on my own before. We usually bought them at the market, and also gave homemade vegetables to our mother-in-law. From personal experience, I knew that the varieties of cucumbers for growing gardeners come across different, and the taste of gorishons sometimes leaves much to be desired: they often have a hard skin and can bitter.

To make sure of this, our cat Timothy helped me. As a kitten, he began to ask for raw vegetables. One day I was making a salad of fresh cucumbers, and Timosha was meowing until I gave him a peeled piece of cornice. The kitten ate it with great pleasure and calmly laid down on the couch. After that, I often gave the cat cucumbers, but sometimes he refused to even try them. As it turned out, Timothy smelled determined when there were instances with bitterness. I wish I could learn that myself!

I had the opportunity to independently choose the seeds for future Cornishons. First, I decided to read about the popular varieties of cucumbers for growing on home beds on the Internet. But the opinions of experts differed, and there was so much information that I was confused. Since my knowledge of the varieties of bubby green beauties was reduced to the famous “fontan” and its hybrids, and they recently do not cause delight, I needed a “call to a friend” and “help the hall”.

I decided to invite my close friends for coffee and at the same time ask them “with passion”, which varieties of cucumbers to grow to choose, so that salad is good, and you can pickle. Since my friends Tanya and Lilya live in the private sector, they have extensive experience in planting vegetables and caring for seedlings. They kindly agreed to share their knowledge with me.

We were quietly drinking coffee until we started talking about cucumber varieties to grow in my garden. From that moment on, the young hostess began to argue. One proved to the other that she knows the best varieties of cucumbers.

Tatiana told me that I should buy Polish seeds. She praised the following varieties: “titus”, “sopilka”, “Andrus”, “crack”, “Caesar” and “Sremsky”. I also remember the kind word “French Cornishon”.

And Lilia began to convince everyone that it is better to choose the Dutch variety “satina”, “ecol”, “director”, “artist”, “phoenix”, “amur”, “ayax” or “anzor”.

Both girls insisted on their own, but were unanimous that they should not save on seeds. They are sure that it is better to purchase processed quality seeds of hybrid self-pollinating varieties. Their packages bear the letter F. Since hybrid varieties are prone to degeneration, then seeds from such cucumbers should not be collected: they will not give the previous harvest.

My friends told me that in March you can sow cucumber seedlings in peat cups. In late April or early May, the land will warm up enough, and then it is necessary to transfer the grown plants to the bed. This way I will get an early harvest from the open ground.

I listened to my friends, but I didn’t take sides so as not to offend anyone. For myself, I concluded that it is necessary to additionally inquire about those varieties of cucumbers that the hostess were completely satisfied with. Then I will be able to decide which one is right for my garden. I think it's the right thing to do.

What kind of cucumbers would you recommend? I want your opinion!

Tags

See also

New and interesting