The vegan diet can cure diabetes

Vegan diet for diabetes

Diabetes is not necessarily a sentence. Early studies show that people with diabetes can improve the course of illness or even get rid of it, if you go on a vegan diet consisting of natural, unrefined foods. Unfortunately, neither one of these studies have not included comparison group. Therefore, the Foundation diabetes research and action against diabetes Committee, doctors for conscious medicine a grant to conduct the research.

We collaborated with Georgetown University compared two diets: a vegan diet that contains a lot of dietary fiber and low in fat and a diet that is most commonly used American diabetes Association (ADA). We invited people suffering from non-insulin dependent diabetes, as well as their spouses and partners, and they had to follow one of two diets for three months. The food was prepared by caterers, so the participants just had to warm food at home.

Vegan food was prepared with vegetables, grains, legumes and fruit, it did not include refined components such as sunflower oil, wheat flour and pasta from flour. The proportion of fat accounted for only 10 percent of calories and complex carbohydrates 80 percent of calories. They also had 60-70 grams of fiber a day. Cholesterol is completely absent.

Respondents from both groups twice a week, they came to the University for meetings.

When this study was planned, we were faced with a few questions. Decide whether people with diabetes and their partners to participate in the study? Will they be able to change their eating habits for three months to eat as they prescribe program? If we can find a reliable caterer who will prepare attractive meals and vegan meals prescribed HELL?

The first of these doubts dispersed very quickly. The ad, which we gave to a newspaper, on the first day responded to over 100 people. People enthusiastically participated in the study. One of the participants said: "I was amazed at the effectiveness of a vegan diet. My weight and blood sugar started to fall".

Some participants were amazed at how well they've adapted to the experimental diet. One of them remarked: "If I someone 12 weeks ago said that I will have to make a completely vegetarian diet, I would never have believed it". Another participant needed more time to adjust: "at First to follow this diet find it difficult. But in the end I lost 17 pounds. I no longer take medications for diabetes and high blood pressure. So it worked on me very positively."

Some improved for other diseases: "I'm not so worried about the asthma. I'm not taking so many medications for asthma, because of better breathing. I feel that I, a diabetic, now the Outlook is better, I like this diet".

Both groups adhered strictly to the prescribed diet. But the vegan diet has shown benefits. Fasting blood sugar was 59 percent lower in the group adhere to a vegan diet than in the group fed according to the recommendations of HELL. Vegans needed less medication to control blood sugar, and the group to adhere to the ADA diet were required the same amount of drugs as it was before. Vegans took less medication, but they have the disease was under better control.

In the group fed according to the recommendations of the ADA, the weight loss averaged 8 pounds, Evegeny dropped about 16 pounds.The level of cholesterol in vegans was also lower than that of the group to adhere to the ADA diet.

Diabetes can cause serious punch, and, as a result, the protein comes out with urine. Some of the subjects in the early studies of urine came out a lot of protein, and this figure has not improved to the end of the study, patients who adhered to the diet of HELL. Moreover, some of them after 12 weeks began to lose more protein. Meanwhile, patients from group a vegan diet was out with urine much less protein than before.

We were very encouraged by the results of this first study, and next year we plan to conduct a much larger study. We are all very grateful to the volunteers who donated their time to help us learn how can be improved the treatment of diabetes.

90 percent of study participants with type 2 diabetes who adhered to a vegan diet with a small amount of fat, but also walked, rode a bike or perform other physical exercises, have been able to avoid medication in less than a month. 75 percent of patients treated with insulin, no longer need it. In a study conducted by Dr. Andrew Nicholson (physician's Committee for conscientious medicine), was carried out monitoring of the blood sugar from seven patients who suffered from type 2 diabetes and followed for 12 weeks of a strict vegan diet with low fat content. For contrast, he compared their rates of blood sugar with the figures of four diabetics who were prescribed the traditional ADA diet with low fat content.

Diabetics who adhered to vegan diet, blood sugar levels declined by 28 percent, and those who followed the ADA diet with low fat content, this indicator decreased by 12 percent. The subjects from the group of vegan body weight decreased by an average of 16 pounds, and in the group with a traditional food — a little more than 8 pounds. Moreover, several of the subjects of the vegan group were able, in the course of the study to fully or partially refuse medication, and in the traditional group, no. published

@ Andrew Nicholson, translations of Valerie Kurmanaevskogo

P. S. And remember, just changing your mind — together we change the world! ©

Source: www.vita.org.ru/veg/veg-health/diabetes.htm

Tags

See also

New and interesting