Tribal lessons of parenthood

Jimmy Nelson — an Englishman, a famous photographer. Beginning his professional career, and life in General, perfectly illustrates the adage "there would be No happiness, Yes the misfortune has helped". Since childhood he had a flair for creativity, but the study was not given, which is not surprising, bearing in mind that Jimmy is dyslexic. At 16 years old had one more trouble. He was prescribed a wrong antibiotic, and in the morning...

"I woke up, looked in the mirror and saw a completely bald. Now, when I was well over forty, it's all the same, but to be completely bald as a teenager in Northern England in the 1980s was hard. All pointing finger."

Jimmy decided that the best way out — to leave school and go where all bald. And he went to Tibet. There he spent year he made a lot of pictures to remember the trip. Among them were so successful that they were published in the journal, and this determined the future career of man. He traveled to all the continents, lived a long time among the local tribes. The price of copyright prints of his photographs comes to 45, and the photo albums — up to 5 thousand pounds. The main result of this work, he considers the project "Until they're gone" (Before They Pass Away) is a collection of photographs with comments. Their heroes are tribal peoples in Africa, Asia, South America, Oceania. Represented the Russian Northern peoples. Despite the fact that some activists in the preservation of the indigenous peoples, and representatives of the tribes criticized the author for distortion and embellishment of reality on the one hand, and misrepresent their problems with the other, he satisfied with the result.

"Humanity should concern not only progress and wealth. It should care about the preservation of all that we have — natural, mental, spiritual and cultural wealth. For several generations people believed that the multiplication of material goods is the only way forward. But we must maintain balance. That's about it my book, it's about putting these tribes on a pedestal, to start a conversation," he says.

The lifestyle of these people is largely, if not at all different from ours with you, "civilized". About Jimmy Nelson also tells in his book. Some things will be particularly interesting to the audience "Home child". Let them dwell.

Birth and health

"Here's Darwin: survival of the fittest. If you're not healthy from birth, you will die. So tough and simple. Who was born healthy, live a healthy life.

The diseases that we suffer, often we ourselves caused by poor diet, sugar, salt, synthetic products. We believe that the purpose of life is happiness. And they have no concept of happiness, because they are not worried about the future. Live without clogging your head with thoughts about how they're happy, and when that happiness will come".

Parenthood

"They all breastfeed. And continue up to 4-5 years. Why not? This is ten times healthier, though, because it is pure nutrition. It all builds up their immune system.

Then, there is no mode.: eat when you're hungry. You need to feed or now is not the time for breastfeeding; it's time to sleep like us to get him to sleep — such questions never come. The child all the time with the mother or with the father and when both parents work, kid's are older sisters and brothers. It is always put to sleep among parents, brothers and sisters, and when it comes to the beginning of the day, he always remains in them. And not only in cold climates, where it can be explained by the need to warm the baby, but in a warmer climate.

Interestingly, the babies almost never cry and do not cry. They are always in contact with family, all their needs and requirements satisfied. And chest is always there, and warm.

Nights are too quiet. Even if the baby wakes up, he can cling to the mother's breast and eat if hungry. He's just no need to claim that screaming".

Jimmy Nelson not just watched, as in "primitive" tribes raise children, but adopted what he thought was useful. It is unlikely that all of you will want to agree with everyone, but find out here what rules and principles are important for the hero of our publication and his family, will certainly be interesting. Especially when you consider that the practice of "primitive" parenthood he knew firsthand and quite deep.

"Our first daughter was with me all day. I had such a long sling, and she was awake and slept constantly clinging to the father, first facing me, and then when a little older, face from me. I was going somewhere on a motorcycle, and she was with me or with his mother in sling. She lived there about three years, and began to cry if it was removed from there — so she was used to constant contact. And lying down at night, we put her with him.

It all depends on how you are passionate about and devoted parent. We are surrounded by thousands of opportunities and temptations, and not to yield to them, you need to take a step parenthood is more than capable of most dad and mom. Unfortunately, the title of mother in our society are not so significant. Prestigious to become a "somebody" to titles".

It should be noted that Nelson himself managed to achieve professional recognition, being a devoted parent. In the latter, he believes, helped him experience, borrowed from distant peoples.

"The tribal people are sleeping all together closely. Even if a stranger, especially in the cold, no matter whose armpit or groin you put a hand or foot — the main thing that was warm and comfortable.

At home we sleep together. When our first daughter was born, wife said, "That's our baby, but her place in our bed." In General, it was the first day of our first child, so it is now, eighteen years later. Just now we have two mattresses pushed together. The older daughter already Dating guys, and when they come to visit, they sleep in their rooms. And in other days with us."

Comparing the way he was brought up himself and the children grow tribes, Nelson clearly prefers a "tribal" education.

"That's how I grew up and as my children grow up — just the opposite. I since the childhood were given to the Board, and parents hardly knew. Ten years of my education were in charge of priests-Jesuits. My understanding of anatomy, physiology, nudity, opposite sex was mutilated from an early age. Talk about it — no way! If the topic did arise only in the context of Hellfire and mortal sin.

Well, I don't Have a closed from the children, and the anatomy is also on view. We walk around the house naked, getting out of bed and get dressed. Eyes no one pulls. All because we are one. I think this gives us a fortress, not found in other families, and even when some of us throw shit at the fan — and this happens — it can not shake the confidence in themselves and in each other, which sit deep in our children."

What should be the boundaries of a child's freedom and parental care?

"Society is too protective of children just because today everything is transparent. All the dangers surrounding us, are on view. You can imagine the unthinkable horror, then Google it. and learn that it already happened actually. We are afraid to do something, and his children do not approve.

And in some tribes, for example, in Papua New Guinea, where people live in tree houses 40 metres above the ground, no fences and railings. The kids crawl in there by themselves, and no one falls over the edge".

Those reasonable notice, that raising children in a "concrete jungle" and the Amazon jungle are not one and the same, Nelson puts the example of his experience and his family.

"I think we should allow the child to search for the boundaries. We live in the city. My children are allowed to come and go as I please. My wife and I believe that if children need to get away, they will figure out how to do it. We don't smoke (although have smoked before), do not take drugs. But the children say: "If that's what you need to do your will, but the lesson will be yours. Just don't hide from us, talk to us." If to forbid children to be independent, they instinctively rebel. They need your experience, your lessons.

I look at my children and see them free and happy. Although for parents it's a big job, and we need to always be alert. And Yes children are all different, we must not forget. And still, we must give them the opportunity to live their adventure, to get into their troubles, to make their mistakes — otherwise you will learn nothing".

Jimmy Nelson does not mind that the "backward" tribes often become parents at an age which today, in developed countries is almost childish. On the contrary, in his opinion is a big mistake accepted in a civilized society the habit to postpone the birth of the offspring for later — when will have established a solid material Foundation made a career... When, finally, the parent is called, walk up, plenty will live for himself.

"We decided to have kids when we are already under thirty, and even 40 or even 50, and it's a disaster! The tribes give birth in adolescence. I believe that there is nothing better than to have a baby when you are strong, healthy and flexible... and when you're fearless, what people in their late Teens.

We gave birth to the eldest daughter when I was 25 and would need to have about three years before. My children my wife and I are talking, even better offspring when you are ready. Why? Because they are adaptable, they are healthier, they have fewer needs, they are more mobile and they are happy to care for the child. And when forty, their children will grow up and leave home, they themselves will have a lot of time and energy to do other things."

In conclusion, we want to emphasize that it is not driven by the experience of Jimmy Nelson as a role model. But it would be interesting to see the opinions and ratings of the readers (unless of course they are grounded and expressed in a respectful and polite manner). And if someone of you would like to share your experience, that would be great twice. published

All photos: Jimmy Nelson

Author: Sergey Tolstikhina

P. S. And remember, just changing your mind — together we change the world! ©

Source: www.domrebenok.ru/blog/uroki-plemennogo-roditelstva/

Tags

See also

New and interesting