The search continues for Philae on the comet Churyumov-Gerasimenko

The fate of the probe Philae, had fallen asleep on the comet Churyumov-Gerasimenko, remains unknown. But in the last few days, the ground crew got a few new ideas that allow to reconstruct the path of the probe and its current situation. Firstly, it was to make a 3D image of the surface of a comet with data from a distance of two miles an hour before landing: Phil made a couple of photos a > using the Rosetta Lander Imaging System (ROLIS).

Recorded during contact with the surface
sound file lasting two seconds helped scientists to suggest that the comet's surface is covered with several inches of dust under which - more solid layer of crushed ice. After that he was hooked and collected some samples, some of which are organic and contain carbon - the basis of life on Earth.

And then he fell asleep ...

My #lifeonacomet has just begun ESA_Rosetta . I'll tell you more about my new home, comet # 67P soon ... zzzzz #CometLanding - Philae Lander (@ Philae2014) November 15 2014 blockquote>
 The team continues to work hard to find the probe, using cameras and radio equipment Rosetta called CONSERT. Thanks to this equipment ESA has already managed to narrow down the location search to a few small areas that simplify the work. Once the probe found, scientists can analyze the data and find out whether you can somehow pull it out of the shadows to charge from the sun.

Source: geektimes.ru/post/241830/

Tags

See also

New and interesting