Rocks among the fields

I would like to raise one more topic for quite mysterious places on the planet. These are huge boulders that are in the middle of the desert, prairie, farmland.
In one of these places I had visited a year ago and me. So in the course of the Shvoraka, I lay out a photo report on my trip to one of these places.

13 photos + a bit of text

It is called Shiprock, that all translated, it means the ship-rock. Located in the north of the State of New Mexico, USA. From afar really resembles a ship, but only partly. The height of about 550 meters.

What is surprising to the normal access road does not exist. Only the primer with unrealistic bumps, and go on a road accounted for about 5 km, but for our truck to get to the place was not a problem. In this regard, there are no tourists, probably all prefer to watch this wonder from afar, sipping a beer in roadside cafes.

Bottom view of the cliffs

Once at the bottom of the cliff, I gasped. It looks very impressive, especially yourself you feel some puppet. It can be said about the power of this place - it is very strange to you at the same time all the known mixed feelings (fear, hatred, admiration, etc.), let alone when departing from the rock for a couple of kilometers.

It is said that there are nearby Indian Reservation, but we did not see them.

We opened many petroglyphs made by 100% is not ancient. Apparently this place is popular among young people for OpenAirov because strewn under the feet of a large amount of debris.

More graffiti

Now some information from Wikipedia.
This place is mentioned in many myths and legends of the Navajo tribe, who live in these places. According to one legend the Navajo tribe lived in other places, but this peak attracted them and they moved to him and began to live on the rock, going down only to handle fields (what the hell ???? field on the prairie) and search for water (a river there, but far away, maybe 10 kilometers). Once at the peak struck by lightning, which cut way down, forming a cliff that doomed the women and children who were at the top of the deaths. Today, the presence of people at the peak of smoking, as they may inadvertently cause the spirits of the dead or desecrate their bones (Well, it seems the standard legend, though something strange there and felt).

The rock is composed of fragments of volcanic rock and veined mica syenite.

The first ascent was made in 1939. Who knows 7 routes for climbing. All of them are highly complex routes. Today, the rock climbing is prohibited.

On this monument I have everything.

Still there Rock Uluru in Australia
Uluru (Ayers Rock) - formed about 680 million years ago, 348-meter-high orange-brown oval-shaped rock. Located in central Australia, 450 km from the town of Alice Springs. Its length is 3, 6 km, width - about 3 km, and the base is indented caves decorated with ancient rock paintings and stone carvings.
Once in the center of the continent towering mountain range, which is an island in the middle of the lake Lake Amadeus. The products of destruction of rocks were deposited at the bottom of the reservoir to form a rock, which in appearance resembles lying on the side of a giant elephant.

I graduated

Source:

Tags

See also

New and interesting