Fiberglass beak

One goose, stuck his beak in the fence of the reserve, caused a very nasty injury - she broke her upper beak (((The bird was doomed to death by starvation. But modern veterinary medicine (not us, unfortunately) does not stand still! Veterinarians " repaired "her beak, using glass!
3 photos via dailymail.co.uk

Under general anesthesia, this goose has attached prosthesis, costing 175 pounds. But what is most interesting - beneath the beak grows! So it has all the chances to get a brand new over time with its beak

Before surgery ...

There were fears that the goose will die because of the inability to fend for themselves, but the vet managed to create a copy of the beak. Bird expert Dr. Alan Jones has created a fiberglass beak, until the animal was under general anesthesia. The product has been attached by a thread, which is attached to the skull Goose, the operation took place at the British Wildlife Centre, NyuChapel, Surrey.
First, the new frame was built after the beak was filled with fiberglass paste, which is called - tehnovit.
Terry Kemp, a veterinarian and founder of the animal reserve, Hailsham, East Sussex, where he lives Garcia, said: "We could not believe how beautiful she looked after the operation on his nose»
"Who would have thought that you can save the life of a goose with the help of glass - it is absolutely unthinkable. We are delighted! »
Garcia with her friend Morgan - the names of the names of the actors from the movie "Criminal Minds" four months later, was in Happy Endings taken.
Mr. Kemp said: "She behaved perfectly natural in the morning but in the afternoon I found that the top of its beak - is absent. She is very curious and loves goose walking around watching everything that is happening around. I can only assume that she was stuck in the fence and break off the upper beak »
"Morgan defended her all the time, probably because he was aware of her vulnerability without beak. She could not eat anything, so we fed it from a syringe »
He added: "I heard about the vet kotoryysmasteril beak for another bird, but did not know if he could help me. I otvёzeё to him and was expecting to hear that the only option is to euthanize the animal, November was overwhelmed with happiness when he said that he could help »
Dr. Jones, who lives in Eynsforde, said: "We have made a wire frame that is attached to her skull. Then we made the body of the beak, which is filled tehnovitom, which is usually used to repair the horses' hooves. »
"We used a particulate material and resin to make a soft paste, which is a consequence of thickened and reshaped into a beak»
"As for the beak broke her nostrils, it was necessary to insert a plastic tube into her artificial beak so she could breathe»
Unusual operation took about an hour.
Dr. Jones said that her new beak is working fine, it can clean the feathers and eat, as well as to prevent drying of the mouth and tongue.
Happy Endings, with the help of donations collected 175funtov new beak Garcia. However, it will have to go back to Dr. Jones for the reconstruction of the beak, when her mother starts to grow.
As Dr. Jones added that as the basis of its beak was not damaged, he will grow out of the ground slowly and little by little would displace the prosthesis that may lead to the necessary modifications.
Complete recovery will take a beak from 12 to 18 months.
Mr. Kemp said: "The significance of transaction costs thousands of pounds, so the cost of 175 pounds - a very good price, it was worth every penny to save the life of Garcia."

Source:

Tags

See also

New and interesting